Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.
    MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

High key question for the Master (Steve that is of course)

I have a dance studio recital and will be setting up for individual and group portraits. High key on a white vinyl sweep. I'm lighting the BG with two in white umbrellas, and a two light set up for the subject, I usually go with a 3-1 ratio key to fill. Was thinking f/11 on the BG and f/8 on the key. Does a 3-1 work on High key, or is 2 or even 1-1 a better option. This will be a typical line em up and shoot em type setup, all different costumes, just trying to keep a good consistent look to the set up. We're going with 60 " white umbrellas in bounce for the key and fill since I can't afford a bigger softbox. I have a 48" octobox but have to back it up a bit for full length and lose some of the softness, so will stick with the 60's and keep it simple. Is a two stop difference between subject and BG too much?
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Re: High key question for the Master (Steve that is of course)

Quote Originally Posted by MJS
    Is a two stop difference between subject and BG too much?...
    Michael, I'm sure you realize that a lot of these decisions are not about right or wrong (or too much or too little), but what effect you want.

With a white bg, a one stop over-exposure should give you white. Two stops will still give you white.

The only potential problem depends on how close your subjects are to the bg. Too close with a two stop difference, and you're likely to get a backlit effect with possibly some flair. Now, if that's ok with you, then it's ok...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Re: High key question for the Master (Steve that is of course)

Thanks Steve, I'm going to do some test shots after I finish giving exams this week. The shoot is over three days, January 11 - 13 at the Dade co. Auditorium. I've got a three camera video shoot going on inside and will set up for the shots upstairs in the balcony waiting area. I was worrying about the back light on the BG and didn't want a blow out hassle. Nice shots from Chicago gig by the way. Coming down this way during the Holidays at all?
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

Thread Information