Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.

Gym Portrait - Advice Please!

Has anyone ever done a portrait shoot in a gym? I got a request to take some photos "like you see in fitness magazine editorials about physical trainers," for use on a website. I'm not a pro. I think I could do a good job with a standard portrait shoot, considering that the client knows I'm not a pro, but the gym environment sounds kind of scary...cramped with bad lighting and randomly placed mirrors. I was just wondering if anyone has ever done anything like that or if you have any general advice on what equipment I might need? Do you think it's possible to do with just a flash and some reflectors? I don't own any studio equipment.

Thanks a bunch!

Paul

Re: Gym Portrait - Advice Please!

Don't use flash. Try a fast short telephoto and natural light. Shoot in RAW mode if you are using a digital camera, and set a manual white balance if the lighting is flaky. If it were me, I would take a 28 1.8, a 50 1.4 and an 85 1.8 for various shots. Good luck!

I did team pictures for a gymnastics team this year. First, I looked all over the internet to find all the pics I could to get some ideas on posing kids around equipment. I'd do the same if I were you. Second, I got there early and found that it took much longer to get set up, find suitable backgrounds, move a few things around and get my camera settings right. I used flash and tinkered with the settings and diffusser until I got the subjects lit, but didn't have shadow problems or that "deer in the headlights" look. With due respect to the last response, It would not have been possible to shoot in our gym without flash -- even with my 85mm f/1.4 or 50mm f/1.4. Lastly, I'd bring all your equipment -- you never know what ideas you will get when there -- and be prepared to do some PS work after you're done shooting.
    Last edited by Lava Lamp; 07-06-2006 at 04:45 PM.

Thank you both for the advice!

Stephen, why do you suggest not using a flash? Is it the mirrors? I was thinking of bouncing it off something, not using it directly.

My biggest concern is that I'm rather limited on equipment. I have a D70s, 18-70 kit lens, and a 50mm f1.8. I don't even have a flash that works with my DSLR, but I'm thinking about buying one. I do have a good reflector and tripod.

I'd love to just use available light and the reflector, but I'm afraid the gym will be too dark. I don't really know. I need to get more information from the client but I think we will be using a small gym at an apartment complex and we may have to do it at night to avoid disrupting people's work outs.

Paul

The age of the gym, the height, location and type of lighting all are important. I have found older gyms tend toward a greenish hue from the fluorescents. The newer gyms have better colour balance.

I once even used a video lighting kit: 4,000 watts that was in a nearby store room, to light up a large section of the gym. I then did most of the colour balancing in camera. Flash is great too, but easier if you have a couple that you can use off camera.

Ronnoco

Thread Information