Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.

First time with lights! NEED HELP!

Last night I set up my lights and was a bit disappointed in the results. here is one of the pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Re: First time with lights! NEED HELP!

Quote Originally Posted by southernfocus1
    Last night I set up my lights and was a bit disappointed in the results. here is one of the pics.
    I don't think it's a bad first try at all. I see the bit of light on the tip of her nose, which looks like it might be spill from an overhead hair light (also noticing the lighter circle on top of her head). But overall, decent ratio and good expression...

I'd like to move this thread to the Lighting Forum. Discussing the lighting positions and modifications is a bit different than a straight critique of your shot. Let me know if it's ok.

BTW, it would be very helpful if you explain or even diagram how you set up your lights...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Moving it is fine...

Set up was easy because all I could afford right now was a Continuous Light with and umbrella. I just moved it around and took a bunch of shots. I played around with the location of the light and with my white balance and ISO. In this shot, the light was sitting to the left of me and facing toward her.

I think it looks good. There is no reflection of light on her eye glasses. The shine on the model's nose could most likely be cured with makeup in the future. How many options are there with one light. A reflector fill could add something if you have one. I'm no expert. I'm playing with a flash set up myself. Give yourself an A :thumbsup:
    JUST TAKE THE DAMN PICTURE!

Thread Information