Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.

Question Equipment Needed?

What lighting equipment would be needed for a home-based studio doing senior portraits? Would like to keep it under $1000.00. I have backdrops.

Re: Equipment Needed?

try the alienbee 400, they good I got three of them . hope you like them too, I'm sure some of this folk in here will recommended them too.

Thanks! What about soft boxes? How many of the alienbee 400 do you use at a time? Do you use them w/umbrellas?

in India , prolinchrom and elinchrom light units rule. for studio lighting, since you have to carry out many types of work, portraiture, child photography, modelling, still life etc. etc. the correct equipments are the soft boxes alligned to the above units. u can decide, keeping in view the space in the studio, what size of soft boxes u will need. besides one or two snoots u will require for hair lighting either from one side or from both sides of the sitter. one essential item is background lighting and other a spotlight. it is upon u how to use them , better try experimenting several shots studying the lights used in glamour and other magazines.a flash meter is also a must to take reading on the spot and adjust the lights. in case of camera the best from Nikon, Canon or of yr choice will be fit for studio work. for close ups better use the long focal length of the lens to say 85mm to 135 mm. for this yr present zoom will work well and since yr budget is limited, it will be difficult to afford fixed focal length lens most ideal for composition, sharpness etc. better use rthe zoom came along with the body and get best results. u asked for equipments, i will suggest,u have some props for adult photography and child photography and for some different models who look forward to their career thru the portfolio made by u. sometimes to give a more natural feeling to the ourtrait u can use yr hand fjash by bouncing it from the ceiling. u can have some tips from books, elders etc but the ultimate work u will have to do, so like me start with "TRIAL & ERROR' method. from yr own work.. thus u can achieve satisfaction for yr clients and for yourself. try single lighting on a sitter then increase another one, have some white reflectors to throw light from opposite side.on yr subject., and watch the result then click.

Thread Information