Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.

Dog / Family Portrait Advice Please

A friend of mine has asked if I can take some pictures of his (black) dog, maybe two dogs, and maybe some with two dogs and two people. I'm planning to do it in his back yard, in the shade. Has anyone used the Nikon wireless flash technology, with the pre-flashes, for pictures of pets? Is this going to totally freak out a dog? Or, could it work to my advantage by getting the dogs attention?

I have an SB-600 with an umbrella and stand, but I also have a 42" reflector. I don't know if I'll even need the umbrella and flash, but I wanted to find out what kind of experiences any of you have had doing this. I'm also open to any other kind of advice for this shoot. It's very informal and I'm not asking for money, but it is a first time and I'd like to do my best. Posing ideas for a group shot would be much appreciated too.

Thanks,
    Paul

Re: Dog / Family Portrait Advice Please

My experience with pre flash with my dogs is they squint about the time the shutter opens.

I use manual flash/camera mode mostly since I don't have the correct cable to allow PTTL or communication between my flash and camera. It takes a bit to set up but the results will be predictable.

I find that shooting my black dog that it takes a bit of light to get any detail and if she is shot with any other light subject/background it will blow that out. It's rather annoying and I haven't figured a way around it on camera yet. I suppose HDR would work but it's a lot of work.
    My blog - Photography Rulez

'Slim' - K10D and *ist DL w/ SMCP DA 70mm 2.4 Limited, SMCP-DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, SMC M 28mm f/2.8, SMC M 50mm f/1.7, and Tamron AF75-300mm f/4-5.6 LD Macro
    Slim of the Clan O'Canon - A1 w/ FD 28, 50, 70-210 & Sigma 500/1000 f8/f16

Re: Dog / Family Portrait Advice Please

Cyberlord,

Thanks for the comments. I was affraid you were going to say that. I think I may have to go buy a hot shoe adapter so I can run a synch chord and shoot in manual mode. I have no other way to trigger it off-camera. Luckily, bad weather last weekend bought me some time.

Paul

Thread Information