Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.

Thread: DIY softbox

DIY softbox

I would like to share the results of some recent efforts to construct a more professional looking sofbox to be used with a hotshoe type flash. I recently came across a large quantity of surplus signage made from a corrigated plastic material. It looked like a good material to use for this project as it is white in color. The panels were cut to size with a utility knife and fastened together with masking tape and a hot melt glue gun. It was painted with spray paint in a semi-gloss black. The softbox is 18" square at the front and 12" deep. This seemed a suitable size for headshots and still-life projects. It was designed around a Pentax flash but any hotshoe flash could be used. White shear fabric was used for the front diffuser. A smaller softbox that is 12" square was also constructed using the same method. This smaller one can be mounted on a grip and used portable for event photography etc.I will post some photos using the softbox a bit later. Thanks for looking.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DIY softbox-large-sbox1.jpg   DIY softbox-large-sbox2.jpg  

Re: DIY softbox

Looks darn good. I like the mounting bracket with adjustable tilt too. I expect it will work wonderfully. Thanks for the information.

Phil

This looks great. Got sample photos yet? Did you make more than one or do you just have one flash? What was the total cost of materials?
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thanks for the interest Photo-John and Pwhite214. As I indicated I constructed one 18" and one 12" softbox. The material cost is essentially nothing as the sign material was free and the tape, glue and paint were on hand from other projects. I have not had a chance to use either for portraiture but was able to try some tabletop projects. The photo attached is of a old telegraph key and sounder from my collection- I have other hobbies as well. The
    18" softbox was about 1 foot away on the right side and a reflector was placed on the left.
    The only post processing was a minor tweek in levels and a tad of sharpening. The 18" softbox is easily adaptable to using CFL bulbs as the run very cool. Daylight CFL bulbs were used for this photo using auto white balance. The camera used was a Pentax DSLR
    using the kit lens and an aperture of f16 and an ISO of 200. I am looking forward to the chance to use it for portraiture. Will update you when I get a chance to try some people pics. Thanks again for the interest.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DIY softbox-signal-electric-sounder.jpg  

Thread Information