Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.
    Sports photo junkie jorgemonkey's Avatar

Continuous & strobe studio lighting question

First off, when it comes to studio lighting I am a complete noob. My boss just got me this kit from BH to do our product phorography:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

and the question I have is, could I put some strobe bulbs in these heads, and if so, what equipment will I need to fire them? The camera I am using is either a Nikon D1h or a D70. Thanks!

[edit- I just realized this should probably get moved to the Studio & Lighting forum]
    Last edited by jorgemonkey; 12-22-2005 at 04:22 PM.
    Nikon Samurai #21

Cameras:
    D700
    D300
    D200
    D2H

Lenses:
    Nikon 35mm F1.8, 35 F2, 50mm F1.8, 70-200 F2.8 VR
    Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro
    Tokina 12-24 F4
    SB900 & SB800 flashes

Strobes vs Hot Lights

Strobes and hot lights are very different. I'm not sure of the specific electrical/technical differences. But the power requirements strobes are very different. They all use some sort of power pack that charges up for a very larger burst of power. Hot lights don't put out nearly as much light. But they're a lot easier to work with, and what you see is what you get. For product photography I really prefer continuous lighting. The kit your boss bought looks just fine as long as you're going to stick to product photography and studio portraits. Actually, for portraits, and even product photography, you might want to also invest in a couple of big soft boxes.

Why are you interested in strobes, anyway? Thinking of taking those lights out ot Calabazas?
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Sports photo junkie jorgemonkey's Avatar

Re: Continuous & strobe studio lighting question

I was looking more at the AC slave strobes, since 500 watts of light is a little on the warm side. But its all good though, I'm pretty stoked about the setup making my life easier on the product photography that I do.
    Nikon Samurai #21

Cameras:
    D700
    D300
    D200
    D2H

Lenses:
    Nikon 35mm F1.8, 35 F2, 50mm F1.8, 70-200 F2.8 VR
    Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro
    Tokina 12-24 F4
    SB900 & SB800 flashes

Thread Information