Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.

Comparing Lighting Kits

Well i have been doing some browsing, and i really need a portable kit i can take with me on location.

If these are considered not pro, i would appreciate some pointers as to what kit would be good. Keep in mind though that this will be a start-up kit, as later on i would definitely want to upgrade...

Any input on these would be great, as well as any other suggestions.. thank you all in advance!

A- JTL TL-480 Light Kit, 3 Versalight J-160 Monolight Strobe Outfit.
    B- Novatron V600D 600 w/s Fan Cooled 3 Head Convertable Photo & Digital Strobe Lighting Kit
    C- Novatron V400D 400 w/s Fan Cooled Convertable 3 Head Photo & Digital Strobe Lighting Outfit

I will be getting the Sekonic Digital Master L-758DR

Marc
    Marc

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but rather, when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de St-Exupery

Kindly do NOT edit my photos - I would rather try and apply your advice and learn...

My Ramblings....

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Re: Comparing Lighting Kits

Marc, I think any of the three of these would be fine as a startup lighting kit. Obviously, the Novatron 600 has more power, and a higher price.

Keep in mind the light stands and umbrellas in these kinds of packages are cheap. If it suits your needs, fine, but sometimes you're better off in the long run buying the lights alone, then investing seperately in better stands and umbrellas.
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Steve thanks, I figured when i stumbled upon them that any would do, so i'm guessing the Novatron 600 would be better....

As for the long run, i will definitely upgrade as necessary, since my photography will pay for it... but i don't want to start off, without such a kit! and the only available lights here, would cost me at least triple since only one shop has them!

Thanks again, for the tip ;) now the only thing remaining for me, is getting the proper gear for the Sekonic.... now where can i find it online and have it shipped to my NY box.....???

Marc
    Marc

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but rather, when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de St-Exupery

Kindly do NOT edit my photos - I would rather try and apply your advice and learn...

My Ramblings....

I bought White Lightning and am really happy with them. Very robust and built for mobile shooting. I use a three light set-up and can carry everything in one trip. Says a lot about the compactness of the units. I've used Bowens, Calumet, Speedotron, Photogenic and Lumidyne in the Air Force, and these Lightning units compare well with all of them.

Mark

Thread Information