Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.

Comments on lighting equipment

I am looking into doing some studio and location shoots and I am trying to decide on equipment to purchase. I have been looking at 2 Photoflex 650 Starflashes with a 300 for backlight or 2 Photogenic 1250DRs with a 300DR for backlight.
    Has anyone used either manufacture? I am leaning towards the Photogenic setup.
    Any thoughts?
    I am a nature photographer by heart, so the inside stuff is a new venture. A friend uses the
    Bee system, but it looks to be a tad on the cheaper made side, meaning it doesn't appear to be able to take the abuse of handling and frequent setup.

Thanks
    Pete

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Re: Comments on lighting equipment

I've used the Photogenics before and and had good luck with them. Nothing on the Starfllashes from anyone I know yet.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

Pete,
    I've not used the Photogenics products other than the umbrellas. I have used Novatron and did not care for them. I currently own two Alien Bee 800's and really like them. I use them for alot of location work and have never worried about their build. I felt they were the best for the money I had to spend.

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

I am currently running the Alien Bee 1800's and love the things My classes at he high school play with them also and they are still running just fine.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

Maybe I should give the Bees a second look. With my friend using them, I would have an outlet for borrowing equipment.

Thread Information