Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.

Clearer, sharper closeups: What's the secret?

I'd like to get my photos (mine is the second) as clear as the first one (from another online collector who's a real pro with her photos).

I use a Canon Powershot G2 (on tripod), I have two studio lamps that I used with the flash to get my result below.

Is my camera the weak link in the chain here? Or do I need to learn much more about...something...lighting?

Thanks for any help, and please pardon my ignorance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Clearer, sharper closeups: What's the secret?-slender-threads.jpg   Clearer, sharper closeups: What's the secret?-hibiscus.jpg  
    Last edited by Penman; 11-13-2008 at 09:10 AM.

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Not the camera...

Quote Originally Posted by Penman
    Is my camera the weak link in the chain here? Or do I need to learn much more about...something...lighting?...
    Welcome to the site. Your G2 is certainly good enough to create strong product shots, which is what these basically are.

It's the lighting which makes the other person's pic shine. Product lighting can get very complicated and requires much trial and error. That is why it is such a specialty.

I'm guessing that first shot used maybe four or more lights, and they were all carefuly modified to restrict their light to very specific areas. Think of it as a miniature portrait lighting setup. Look at the shadows under the figure's chin and feet.

We are probably dealing with a main light, a fill, a couple of accent lights, plus the background lit seperately.

My advice would be to mimmick the set up as best you can. You need to figure out a way to modify your lights to keep them from spilling onto one another. Pieces of cardboard or foamcore work well for this.

BTW, you really shouldn't repost someone else's image without their permission (if you do have permission, simply mention it in a photo credit). Much better to link to a page where we can view the photo.
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Re: Clearer, sharper closeups: What's the secret?

Thanks. I've deleted Michelle's photo from my gallery, but it doesn't delete it from the message. Sorry.

Michelle sent me a picture of her studio, and she uses only 3 lamps. So I'll keep working on different combinations with more lights to try to achieve what she did.

So it's okay to link to a website but not post, both without permission? Good to know.

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Re: Clearer, sharper closeups: What's the secret?

Thanks. I've deleted Michelle's photo from my gallery, but it doesn't delete it from the message. Sorry.
    Not a problem. Life is learning. And as you seem to be in touch with the artist, there's really no harm done.

With that in mind, I guess I left out the obvious: learn the setup from the photographer you're trying to duplicate... :thumbsup:

Michelle sent me a picture of her studio, and she uses only 3 lamps. So I'll keep working on different combinations with more lights to try to achieve what she did.
    Yeah, that's real nice light from three fixtures. Looks to me like a butterfly on the figure (two symmetrical lights, again note the shadows under the neck), and a broad spot high above shining down on the background and producing the rim effect on the figure's shoulders and hair. The bg light is slightly overexposed, so you get the brighter area on the bg and shoulders/hair.

BTW, I should also mention that those are beautiful dolls. Do you make them? Or just collect?
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Thread Information