Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.

Bounce flash with a Canon Pro 1

I was fooling around with some photos of my g-friend's wardrobe while she was getting ready to go out last night. She had her boots and dress on our bed, and I tried to find some different ways to effectively light them. Here's one I took with a Pro 1 at ISO 50, and a 420EX bounced. I had the flash at -1 flash compensation. Very little was done to this other than a crop.

As you can see, the lighting is nice and smooth and the colors are vibrant. This was simple to shoot, but turned out quite well. Just goes to show that you don't always need an elaborate lighting setup to get great results.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bounce flash with a Canon Pro 1-_mg_0398.jpg  

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Re: Bounce flash with a Canon Pro 1

Nice shot. What did you bounce into? Are you the same Steven Lutz who used to post quite a bit? If so, where have you been? Good to see your work today.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

Hello!

Yes, I am that same Steve Lutz! I have been involved in many other things, and drifted away from PR. I hope to make amends for that from now on. I still do a lot of photography. My work can be found at:

www.stevelutzphoto.smugmug.com

On this shot, I tilted the camera down to take the picture, and the flash was sticking straight up, so I guess it bounced "all over the place." The bed has a white canopy over it, so that diffused the light even more. I have found with my Pro1 in particular that I get far better results when I cut the flash power. Still, even at -1 stop it took about five seconds for the batteries to recharge for the next shot, so it must have drained them pretty completely.

Here's anothe I took with the flash at full power, of the same subject.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bounce flash with a Canon Pro 1-_mg_0399.jpg  

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Welcome back. I hope all is well. Cool shots you got going there. In a way, the canopy was one giant lite tent/super umbrella. Nice shots.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Now, c'mon, Steve...

Good to see you posting again. I miss the funky "club" shots of your friends...

But seriously. These are some hard-core cool clothes. Aren't we going to see any
    shots of your lady WEARING THEM?!?

BTW, I got a pair of thrift boots a few weeks ago just like yours, only they're black, not red patent leather. I can't wait to use them in a shoot...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Re: Now, c'mon, Steve...

Quote Originally Posted by Asylum Steve
    Good to see you posting again. I miss the funky "club" shots of your friends...

But seriously. These are some hard-core cool clothes. Aren't we going to see any
    shots of your lady WEARING THEM?!?

BTW, I got a pair of thrift boots a few weeks ago just like yours, only they're black, not red patent leather. I can't wait to use them in a shoot...

Hello!

I have been a busy boy over the last year or so, even if I haven't been around PR much.

Here are the club shots from a "goth drag" show last Friday night. Some of the girls are real. Some aren't.

http://stevelutzphoto.smugmug.com/gallery/485439

Here's Porscha @ 2 am, on the back patio of MSL (Main Street Lounge), Louisville, KY.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bounce flash with a Canon Pro 1-msl1.jpg  

Thread Information