Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.

Black Background

Hello folks. I am very new to digital phtography and very eager to learn from all of you. I have alot of questions and hope to get alot of good feedback once i begin posting photos. My first question is about black backgrounds. I understand how to use the strobe lights to over expose the white background to get the white "middle of no-where" look. but how do you successfully create the exact opposite. Black "middle of nowhere " look in the background? Also, how is the best way to shoot photos intended for a digital background? I am a newby so forgive me if these sound like common sense questions. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Re: Black Background

Konnichiwa, Kai~Chee. Welcome to the forum...

The over-under exposure to achieve grades of tonality works with all colors. So, just as you would overexpose to blow out a white bg, you underexpose to darken a black one. Just be sure no stray light hits it from your subject.

Also, some black materials are much more light absorbent than others. Black velvet is probably the best to use for a black black.

As for your other question, I assume you're talking about a chroma key system, whereas you photograph your subject on a green or blue screen, then strip them out in post-production.

Personally, I don't know much about that, so maybe someone else here can help. Or, give more details if it's something else you mean...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Re: Black Background

Konnichi-wa to you too! :~) Thank you so much. I'll get some black velvet and experiment with that. Thanks for the help. - Kai~Chee

Thread Information