Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.

Background Transportation

I have six different muslin backgrounds that I’d like to be able to transport to locations for portrait photography. I would appreciate any suggestions on how to best transport these backgrounds without getting wrinkles in them. The backgrounds are about 10’X10’and I would need to reduce each background to about 5’X5’ for transport. Each background would need to be kept separate for ease of access depending on client selection. Right now I am looking at attaching each background to a ½ “piece of plastic tubing that is very flexible (the type used to protect underground wiring) and rolling the backgrounds on the tubing then folding the tubing in half with a “U” bend to prevent or minimize wrinkles at the fold. My mode of transportation precludes anything longer that approximately 5 feet. I would be grateful for any suggestions. Many thanks, Russ

Most times I have seen this asked, the answer is similar to what you are doing, but it would be best to fold the muslin in half first then roll it up, otherwise you might be fighting a huge U bend and damage the backgrounds. I take it that they are painted backgrounds ????

You can buy portable steamers that people suggest using to help get the wrinkle out of the centre fold. Press the muslin from behind with the background unrolled, unfolded and hanging. Another way is to spray the muslin lightly with fine mist and let it hand, to help reduce the centre fold.

Hope that helps.

Interesting, I just stuff my (two, and one is just a muslin from the fabric store; I'm jealous!) muslins into large stuff bags. I have no problems with the wrinkles. I think they add to them by giving texture. I did iron them right after getting them so there won't be a regular seem going out the top of their head (inevitably). I use seemless paper when I need, well, seemless.

Mike

Duffle Bag

I say go with a big duffle bag or Rubbermaid container. You may get SOME wrinkles in the short time they'll be in there, but you can steam those out if you're really worried. I agree that the wrinkles add texture. As long as you keep the subject away from the background, the muslin will be out of focus and the wrinkles won't be all that noticeable. But again, you can steam them out with a hand-held steamer very easily. Haven't tried the U idea, but I'd be afraid that you'd actually PRESS wrinkles in by crushing the muslin in the tight part of the bend. In a big duffle there is no pressure on the muslin at all; just its own weight.

I HATE wrinkles, I just carry a small portable steamer and smooth out anything that is objectionable. The muslin gets carried in the bag it came in, folded several times.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Thread Information