Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.

backdrops/Background?

Hi, I wanted to make or buy a backdrop or background so I can use behind my son in some photos. These photos will be from the front. Like a portrait from the chest up. He'll be sitting on a stool or standing.

Sorry, this sounds so newbish, but do they sell like a colorful backdrop (wallsize). You know something that I could change around. I can't afford what tho pro's use on those reels.

Any suggestions.

Frequent Lurker

Re: backdrops/Background?

[QUOTE=PointBreak]Hi, I wanted to make or buy a backdrop or background so I can use behind my son in some photos. These photos will be from the front. Like a portrait from the chest up. He'll be sitting on a stool or standing.

http://search.ebay.com/photo-backgro...fkrZ1QQfromZR8

One option is to pick up a reasonable priced background off ebay. Another is to go to a fabric store and find a fabric/sheet that meets your needs.

SJ
    Seattle Jo
    www.srjordan.com

I recently purchased a muslin backdrop (10'x20') from Amvona off ebay for $81USD.
    A good deal considering they go for around $300CAD.
    Jon

"shoot wide, shoot close"

Paper might be the best bang for yoru buck. 40 bucks or so gets you a roll in whatever color you want. And if it gets dirty or wrinkled, just cut it off and roll off some fresh stuff.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Cheapest...IMO

Sorry, I'm late!

EVEN cheaper solution...and maybe a fun project for you....Home Depot/Lowes 9x12' canvas drop cloth (aprox. 22 bucks) and RIT dye. (May need thumb tacks, curtain rod, binder clips...whatever you have on hand.) I never claimed to be a pro! I also use different fabrics...black velvet works if you have little space and don't want too much shadow. Canvas is the best though. Heck I've used sheets, tulle, silk, my handy dandy drop cloth...my daughters finger paintings.

Have fun!
    Ruh roh...Where am I?

Here is what I done for a back drop. I took a piece of plywood 3/8 thick made to piece 12"x12". Then I took a 2"x2"x7' tall board and screwed it in the center of the plywood. Made some triangle to brace the 2x2. Drilled three 3/4" holes one at 2" from the top of the 2x2 then the next two hole 6" down. Then I got a 6' long peice of electrical pipe and a white sheet from walmart and hung it from the top hole. There you have it a white back drop. Now with the other holes I took and place a black and blue sheet for a backdrop. Total cost for my back drop around 30 bucks. Works great. Now all I need is some good lighting and I am in business. Hopes it helps.

Hi,
    Go to B&H and you will find all kinds of backgrounds that are not too expensive. I use many kinds. But the size I use most is a 10' x 12' muslin on a background stand. The fabric is a multigraded mid-grey that goes with all skin tones. I think I paid about $89 for it. I bought a wonderful background stand from a local camera store that can go from 3' to 12' wide and about 12 ft. high. I photograph on location, so I needed something easy to put up and transport. The stand was under $100. You can find nice stands at B&H. Also try Background Outlet on the internet. They have specials and the prices are good.
    Good Luck
    Rere

Hi again,
    Sorry, the name of the online company is: Www.backdropoutlet.com
    Rere

Someone give me there opinion on this backdrop system please?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WD1V

sounds like a good deal. I haven't bought from them before. I have purchased many backdrops from Backdrop Outlet on Ebay and they're really nice. Good luck!

Erika
    Erika

I have bought a lot of backdrops from a lot companies. The best company that I have delt with is www.aurabackdrops.com. They sell a little on ebay too. They have awsome customer service and they have a good quality product. Good Luck

Thread Information