Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.

BackDrop set-up for limited space situation

I've been looking through the threads at some of the ideas for different back drop set ups but all of them I see use stands that have large extending tripod like legs that take up alot of space alone.
    I am in a somewhat limited space and just need a back drop for portraits or prop set ups etc. I was looking into this Bogen system that utilizes two spring loaded poles that fit between the floor and ceiling and have clamps that mount a cross bar for hanging the backdrop. Seems to be very versatile, space saving and something that would not be too hard to transport around as well.
    Here is a link at one set-up offered at B&H
    Bogen BackGround support

What are your thoughts on this and have you heard or know of anyone that uses something like this.
    thanks
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Re: BackDrop set-up for limited space situation

Gary - a few guys in my photo club use this type of set up .... but they got it from here for much cheaper ... then they just get some clamps to hold the backdrop on

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=95746
    Ben

Bodies: Nikon D300 - Nikon D50

Lenses: Nikkor 50mm f1.8 D - Tamron 17mm - 50mm F2.8 - Nikon 70mm - 200mm F2.8 VR - Nikon 1.7 Teleconverter

Lighting: Nikon SB600 speedlight - AlienBees (2) B400's - Polaris Flash Meter

Stabalization: Manfrotto 190XPROB tripod - Manfrotto 3265 joystick head

Quote Originally Posted by WsW-WYATT-EARP
    Gary - a few guys in my photo club use this type of set up .... but they got it from here for much cheaper ... then they just get some clamps to hold the backdrop on

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=95746
    Thanks Ben! At 10.00 a pop, I think I'll get a couple right now. The large foot print at top and bottom looks to be a good idea and should not pop a hole in the ceiling with too much pressure as the Bogen system had me worried about. lol
    They are also smaller at the retracted position making them smaller to carry and store.
    Great lead, thanks

btw, I used to get catologues from Harbor freight many years ago and they always had some interesting stuff for good prices in there.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

nice thing is for that price you can mod them as you please to have them do what you want
    Ben

Bodies: Nikon D300 - Nikon D50

Lenses: Nikkor 50mm f1.8 D - Tamron 17mm - 50mm F2.8 - Nikon 70mm - 200mm F2.8 VR - Nikon 1.7 Teleconverter

Lighting: Nikon SB600 speedlight - AlienBees (2) B400's - Polaris Flash Meter

Stabalization: Manfrotto 190XPROB tripod - Manfrotto 3265 joystick head

Thread Information