Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.

any rec. for studio lighting?

I'm having a hard time deciding on some monolights for studio lighting. I'm looking to buy two (preferably as a kit) in order to pics of my baby as well as large groups of people. I'm trying to stay within a range of $500-700 (I hope that my price range will not exclude me from getting good quality lights). I've looked at Adorama's Flashpoint kits, but wanted fom professional opinions before I made my decision.
    I'm currently using a rebel and natural lighting for the baby pics and am getting some good results, but it sucks to have to time your picture taking according to the sun's position.

Re: any rec. for studio lighting?

I have a Bowen Esprit II 500 kit which suits my needs very well. Two heads, two stands, umbrella and softbox, would highly recommend looking at it.

Something like this from Adorama would probably be close to your budget but there are many others in there to look at as well.

http://www.adorama.com/POSMAKC55K.html

I have found Amvona costly with their postage.

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Is this for fun, profit or both. I don't have to worry about a full time studio so I have been very happy with my Alien Bees B1600's and umbrellas.

Check out
    www.alienbees.com
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

Do you mean monolights or strobes? I think the biggest difference is monolights can be plugged right into the wall while strobes must use a power pack.

I have a Hensel monolight and a Dynalight monlight. I like both and they are easy to use and can be easily moved around the house or even outside.

I would suggest maybe one monolight + a softbox and a reflector (which you can easily make). 2 monolights can get pricey. You will also have to have a light meter in order to get the exposure right.

If you already have a flash for your camera you can use that as a fill light as well.
    Wes

Who are they, where are they, how can they possibly know all the rules?

With regard to Amvona, I am convinced that their web site is only meant to catch the unwary... Nearly everything they sell is offered on a regular basis through Ebay. I bought a pair of their largest softboxes for a total of $300.00 including shipping while they sell it from their web site for $960.06 plus shipping. I like the softboxes, and I notice that they are used in a couple of lessons on this forum. You just don't want to buy from them except through their auctions.

Mike

Amvona make their money from their Postage as well.

If you are using the lights for portraits, you may wish to get Starlite which are constant lights.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

It's a constant light so you can see the effect of the light without experimenting with strobes. (i.e. steep learning curve if you don't have a light meter).

Also, the starlite runs cool so you don't have to worry about the dangers of hot lamps with your baby.

Loren
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

* Any photographer worth his salt has 10,000 bad negatives under his belt. - Ansel Adams

Thread Information