Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.
    shake it like a polaroid picture berrywise's Avatar

Alien Bee packages?

Alright I wanna get serious about learning more of the ropes about studio lighting. So much so that while I'm looking for a new apartment I'm keeping in mind the idea of a small studio somewhere in it. Anyway I figure the best way to really get started is to invest a little money into some lighting equipment.

In the past I have used White Lightning products (available from school) and have never had problems. Now that I am looking to purchase equipment for myself I find the WL to be a little pricey for me. So that's why I have been eye balling the Alien Bee equipement. Figure a lot of the same technology is going into them and I know a few people on this site already owns them.

Now my question is should I just get the lights from them or do their package deals look like a good bet? From some things I have read I am leaning towards spending the extra money to get the B800s and I have read that the B400 might not have quite enough power in the long run (If I ever need to use them for bigger stuff). Wondering if I should go elsewhere for stands etc.

Anyway what is everyone's thoughts about all that? Any other random thoughts I should consider?

here is a link to the package deal:
    http://alienbees.com/digibee.htm

Thanks!
    scott

Scott,

I have done a lot of reading of websites and particulary about Alien Bees. From what I have read, the overall opinion is, they are good for the price you pay. People have had problems with the umbrellas mounting slot of the Bees, they seem to break, so that is one downside of the.

Generally the stands, and accessories have mixed reviews, some like them, some don't. Others have them and buy something else to replace them as they just seem to feel they aren't sturdy enough. That is a good consideration. Last thing you need is a lightstand collapsing or falling over with a slight knock.

If I was buying Bees, I wouldn't go lower than the B800's seems most people use the B400 for hairlighting and background lighting.

People do seem to like the White lightning made by the same company though, yes costs more, but might be a good consideration.

Hope this helps.

I have two B800s, one black, one yellow. The black has been back twice for a cracked umbrella mount, they told me there was a batch of bad black housings around the time I got my first one, and the second one. The yellow has had no problems.

As for power, th 800s are a good compromise. I would not go with the 400s, just too little bang for your buck.

All ALien Bees are fan cooled, have stepless power adjustment, and are small and light. I have two B800s and reflectors, as well as all cables in a Pelican 1550 case and it makes them real easy to carry, while protecting them from anythign but fire.

The product is not the best in the world, but at that price point there is nothign better. And the company is a joy to talk with. I have actually received personal emails from Paul Buff, the owner of the company, on a SUNDAY. He was checking the email on his day off and helped me get the first light replaced. That impressed me...
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Thanks Seb, missed that about the fans. I remember reading your post about Paul Buff helping you out, slipped my mind. I just wish the price of postage downunder was not as high as it is, $120US to post the us which is around $170Aus, which makes the items getting to be within the price range of other lights sold here, with less hassle about warranty as well. Certainly if they were sold here I would be seriously looking at them, as long as the price was right of course.

Couple concerns

1) Is the voltage of these lights such that make them a concern when using them with digital cameras. I use Photogenic equipment and voltage output is higher than recommended for my digital cameras. So I ended up with a voltage regulator for $ 50.00.

2) Are two flash units enough? I have a kit with three and use all of them most of the time, plus a Vivitar 285 with a wireless slave.

Just a couple concerns you can take or leave. Let us know what you end up with.

-Dave-

Quote Originally Posted by Dave E.
    1) Is the voltage of these lights such that make them a concern when using them with digital cameras. I use Photogenic equipment and voltage output is higher than recommended for my digital cameras. So I ended up with a voltage regulator for $ 50.00.

2) Are two flash units enough? I have a kit with three and use all of them most of the time, plus a Vivitar 285 with a wireless slave.

Just a couple concerns you can take or leave. Let us know what you end up with.

-Dave-
    Dave,

the ABs trigger at under six volts, no adapters needed. Two light are plenty. Sure, the more the better, but the simpler, the better is true as well. For a beginner, I don't think anything but a main and fill is really necessary. I have yet to ruin into a situation where I needed more than two. It would have been nice, but not nearly necessary.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Good news on the voltage issue. And the simpler the better? Couldn't agree more. Now have some fun and be sure to post some images.

-Dave-

Thread Information