Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.

Thread: Gels for Flash

Gels for Flash

I need to get some gel for my 550EX flashes. I went to my local pro dealer and they had drawers of the stuff but all of the warmer gels looked either too yellow or too orange. I'm thinking I need something that's sort of yellow/amber. I want to use it on my flash when I'm shooting outdoors as the light from the flash is pretty cold and doesn't mix particularly well with daylight.

So what should I be looking for? Does it have a name?

Gracias, mi amigos-
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

As you know, I am no expert with lighting etc, and have thought about this as well.

I found this website that might help regarding gels etc, don't know them, more for information only to begin with.

http://setshop.com/default.php?cPath=30_76

Hope it helps direct you in the right direction.

I know someone who uses a piece of 81A gel g-taped to his flash, but there's probably others that work too. I remember reading somewhere about which theatrical gels work best but not sure where I found the info... He shot mostly Provia, so this might be a stronger amber than you're looking for. "Back in the day" when we were shooting chrome, Provia would tend to have a blue cast in alot of conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    I need to get some gel for my 550EX flashes. I went to my local pro dealer and they had drawers of the stuff but all of the warmer gels looked either too yellow or too orange. I'm thinking I need something that's sort of yellow/amber. I want to use it on my flash when I'm shooting outdoors as the light from the flash is pretty cold and doesn't mix particularly well with daylight.

So what should I be looking for? Does it have a name?

Gracias, mi amigos-
    Hi John,

If you buy a gel kit, they'll have the basic colors, rgb, cmy, plus a couple others. Then you can mix and match by layering; yellow+orange=amber. Unfortunately, layering gels cuts your light output.

check these out:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=153140&is=REG

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...u=44688&is=REG

I can't remember which brand I have,

Mike

Thread Information