Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.

1 or 2 strobes???

I am looking at two options for studio flash setups. The first is a 2 strobe set up with 7 foot light stands, umbrellas, a main strobe with a slave, and wireless trigger. The second one is the same as the first, only instead of the slave it comes with a silver/gold 30" round reflector disc.

The second one cost a little less than half of the first strobe set, and I am tempted to get it because then I can afford a nice background setup. I plan to use it for some portraiture, and product shooting.

Any opinions?
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Re: 1 or 2 strobes???

You will probably end up with at least two lights, but, the single with the reflector is a good way to learn. You can always buy the second light and still use the reflector as a third soiurce later on. If you're ever down Miami way, you can come experiment with both in my class/studio, and show some of your stuff to my class or not if you'd like.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

Quote Originally Posted by MJS
    You will probably end up with at least two lights, but, the single with the reflector is a good way to learn. You can always buy the second light and still use the reflector as a third soiurce later on. If you're ever down Miami way, you can come experiment with both in my class/studio, and show some of your stuff to my class or not if you'd like.
    If I am down that way, you better believe I'll stop by! :thumbsup:

Thanks for that advice!
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by almo
    Any opinions?...
    Hey John. Nice to see you wander into our forum. I don't think any of us can give you a definitive answer to your question. What you describe is a basic tradeoff, and each option will have certain advantages over the other.

I've always said you can do a lot with a single light. Also that it's a good idea to learn lighting one light at a time. Still, the truth is you may find yourself limited in the lighting effects you can create with just one. Obviously, it will be impossible to try a lot of setups until you have the second light.

On the other hand, while a "nice background setup", is, well...nice to have, I think bg gear and materials are the easiest to try to rig up yourself by using alternative (translation: BUDGET) means.

If it were me, I would go for the two lights...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Quote Originally Posted by Asylum Steve
    Hey John. Nice to see you wander into our forum. I don't think any of us can give you a definitive answer to your question. What you describe is a basic tradeoff, and each option will have certain advantages over the other.

I've always said you can do a lot with a single light. Also that it's a good idea to learn lighting one light at a time. Still, the truth is you may find yourself limited in the lighting effects you can create with just one. Obviously, it will be impossible to try a lot of setups until you have the second light.

On the other hand, while a "nice background setup", is, well...nice to have, I think bg gear and materials are the easiest to try to rig up yourself by using alternative (translation: BUDGET) means.

If it were me, I would go for the two lights...
    Wow, thanks for the super fast responce Steve!

I was bound to endup here sooner or later. I have been taking more and more of an interest in still lifes, which is what led me to the idea of product photography.

I think your right about the background set up. What would you recomend as a good BG material? The setup I was looking at was Poly Canvas.

Thanks!
    John Cowan
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Muslin...

John, raw muslin is relatively cheap. The natural color is a sort of light earthtone, which might work for some types of shots. But it's also easy to bleach and then dye whatever color you want.

As for your basic solid black and white, heavier cotton (or a synthetic if you're worried about wrinkles) is better.

There's nothing wrong with canvas. Certainly more durable, but probably more expensive as well. It's also more difficult to color yourself.

You can also find sheers and metalics in a fabric store pretty cheap, and there's a lot of stuff you can do with those...

Professional rolled bg paper is actually a pretty good bargain, as you tend to get a lot of use out of a single roll. Should last a long time...

-Steve

www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Re: Muslin...

John, raw muslin is relatively cheap. The natural color is a sort of light earthtone, which might work for some types of shots. But it's also easy to bleach and then dye whatever color you want.

As for your basic solid black and white, heavier cotton (or a synthetic if you're worried about wrinkles) is better.

There's nothing wrong with canvas. Certainly more durable, but probably more expensive as well. It's also more difficult to color yourself.

You can also find sheers and metalics in a fabric store pretty cheap, and there's a lot of stuff you can do with those...

Professional rolled bg paper is actually a pretty good bargain, as you tend to get a lot of use out of a single roll. Should last a long time...
    Wow,

I have never died anything, the idea kinda makes me nervous. And tips on that? And where can I get that BG paper?

Also, I was wondering if you could be a little more specific on the differences between what you can do with 2 Vs 1 strobe and a reflector? Money is a big issue for me here, mainly because i have so little of it.

BTW.. These Lights that i am looking at are no super expensive lights. They are cheap ones on ebay. I am looking at these because they are cheap and having never even used strobes before, I don't want to spend a load on them. At the very least they will be good for my aquarium stuff.

Thanks again!
    John Cowan
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Another quick question...

Would a strobe with a softbox/ reflector be better than a umbrella setup?
    John Cowan
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

I suppose the easiest and quickest way to dye a large piece of fabric is in your washing machine (dye company RIT actually recommends it), but you're not gonna hear me advise you to do that, for obvious reasons.

Should work out well if you're real careful, but IMO way too easy to make a mess...

I guess a big tub or bin is the next best thing. To make it more permanent, use hot water, to avoid streaks you have to continually stir the stuff.

Things you can do with two lights? Lemme see. Let's start by mentioning a single light and a reflector. The reflector will always need to be pretty near the light source (when I say that I mean near the illumination that the source creates), normally will reflect light onto a broad area that's sort of hard to control, and unless you're very clever, usually can only throw light back onto the main subject.

A second light, however, can light a totally different element than the main subject (like the bg), or be used to throw additional light in pinpoint fashion on an area of the subject that is totally seperate from the other light (hair light, back rim light, spot on face, etc.)

With two lights you can create true butterfly lighting, which is a symmetrical setup that produces very even light and shadows. That's pert-near impossible with one light and a reflector.

Two seperate lights will allow you to light your subject with two specular light sources (focused or "hard" light). With a reflector, the only way to do that is a metalic surface, but then you have to deal with the hot or cool metalic properties of the light, and it's not the same effect.

-Steve

www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

I suppose the easiest and quickest way to dye a large piece of fabric is in your washing machine (dye company RIT actually recommends it), but you're not gonna hear me advise you to do that, for obvious reasons.

Should work out well if you're real careful, but IMO way too easy to make a mess...

I guess a big tub or bin is the next best thing...

Things you can do with two lights? Lemme see. Let's start by mentioning a single light and a reflector. The reflector will always need to be pretty near the light source (when I say that I mean near the illumination that the source creates), normally will reflect light onto a broad area that's sort of hard to control, and unless you're very clever, usually can only throw light back onto the main subject.

A second light, however, can light a totally different element than the main subject (like the bg), or be used to throw additional light in pinpoint fashion on an area of the subject that is totally seperate from the other light (hair light, back rim light, spot on face, etc.)

With two lights you can create true butterfly lighting, which is a symmetrical setup that produces very even light and shadows. That's pert-near impossible with one light and a reflector.

Two seperate lights will allow you to light your subject with two specular light sources (focused or "hard" light). With a reflector, the only way to do that is a metalic surface, but then you have to deal with the hot or cool metalic properties of the light, and it's not the same effect.
    Ok, so I am sold on dual lights. Most of the kits I am looking at have metalic umbrellas. A few have the plane white ones that look to be made of the same fabric that light boxes are made of. Should I go with the softer white ones? It seems like the better choice to me, but I defer to the masters.

Here are the kits that have my attention right now, 1, 2.

Please let me know when i start to bug you...
    John Cowan
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Quote Originally Posted by almo
    Most of the kits I am looking at have metalic umbrellas. A few have the plane white ones that look to be made of the same fabric that light boxes are made of...
    Actually, a good quality umbrella (keep in mind, an investment) should be a translucent white fabric (like the front of a softbox) with a black removable cover that has a seperate removable metalic lining.

This allows you ALL the options. Again, it's not for me to say which is best, as different shooters prefer different quality light...

-Steve

www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Well,

I settled on my first lighting setup. It's nothing fancy, just a learning tool, and something for shooting in my room. I think it will be fine. I got 2 strobes, 7 foot stands, umbrellas, and 10 foot pc cable for under $100. I got a 16 channle radio remote flash trigger, and Olympus FL-36 flash. I also want to get a lightbox for product shots, and I need to come up with a decent BG.

So, wish me luck on my new photo/lighting adventure!
    John Cowan
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Well...

...you seem to have gotten a lot for the money. It'll be interesting to see what you can do with it... :thumbsup:

-Steve

www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Re: Well...

...you seem to have gotten a lot for the money. It'll be interesting to see what you can do with it... :thumbsup:
    Thanks Steve!

I can't wait to try it all out. The Flash and Remote Trigger were seperate items, though I am sure you were aware of that. When I got my new Olympus I decided I was either going to equip it right, unlike the 3rd party stuff I had to use with my Canons, or I was going to just give up photography for a while. It's slow going, and it will be a while before I can get some relly decent Zuiko glass, but the flash is a good start I figure. It was $200 on Amazon, and the remote trigger was about $50 on Ebay.

I also just bought a Manfrotto 3030 Tripod Head, and I am now looking at some legs, and light tents. I have some legs already, so new ones will probably have to wait a bit.
    John Cowan
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Congratulations on the new toys. I just posted a few in critique today under hollywood portrait. Let me have it when you get the chance. I put a link in either Megan or Shrackman's post in Studio/Lighting for the Photoflex site. They have some neat lighting set ups and explanations posted to help get you started. Don't forget, the invite is open any you're in the area.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

Quote Originally Posted by MJS
    Congratulations on the new toys. I just posted a few in critique today under hollywood portrait. Let me have it when you get the chance. I put a link in either Megan or Shrackman's post in Studio/Lighting for the Photoflex site. They have some neat lighting set ups and explanations posted to help get you started. Don't forget, the invite is open any you're in the area.
    Hey Mike,

The next time I am down that way, you will be the first to know... :thumbsup:

I just picked up a 24x24" light tent. That will be the least thing I purchase for a while. It's been a hell of a day though!
    John Cowan
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

I hate you almo! :wink5:

You lucky duck! Congrats on the new toys. Can't wait to see some results! :thumbsup:

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

You got off easy, I usually get hated for much better reasons, being a teacher and all.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

Thread Information