Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>
    Say Hello To My Little Film

US Open Snowboarding... A Question

I'm getting a press pass to cover this event and I have a question about what lenses would be best to cover the range of events that go on at this competition, from halfpipe to slopestyle and such. I have a 28-105 zoom and a 50/1.4 and plan on renting a 70-200/2.8. But, I was wondering if i should also rent a lens that is wider than 28mm? Any opinions from people who have shot professional snowboarding before? Thanks in advance for any comments/suggestions.

-Nate

A bugger
    The 70-200/2.8 is a must. I'd also consider a teleconverter. On the other hand a wide angle is a definite yes. Snowboard stuff is big, so you might get along fine with a 28mm or something. Of course a fisheye or a superwide may come in handy...

I've shot this event a few times, the 2002 coverage I did for outdoorreview.com is actually still up here, and I concur with Ouvinen. I wasn't there last year, but I shot it the two times before that and never had trouble using my full complement of lenses over the few days I shot. I used a 16mm fisheye, 28-70, and 80-200 with and without a 1.4x TC for every event. You could get by without the longer lens, especially since it looks like they dropped the 1/4 comp, but having it will give you a lot more options.

Practice days are your best chance to get great shots, a lot of the mag guys don't bother shooting much those days and the riders aren't afraid to throw some crazy chit because if they don't make it it doesn't cost em anything....plus your shots won't have those stupid bibs all over em ;)

Good luck! I look forward to seeing some of your stuff so post us a few pics when you get back

Peter D.
    Dougenik Photography

Say Hello To My Little Film

another question

Pete, thanks for the reply and the advice, i've got another question concerning how many photographers are actually at events like this? Am I gonna be fighting my way through crowds of pros to get a choice spot or what? Also, I thought about going on practice days until i had to schedule an appointment to get my wisdom teeth pulled on the first practice day so I'm hoping to get there the day before the finals start (thursday i think).

no prob man, it's a great event to shoot and easy to get the hang of. are there going to be a lot of other photographers there? hell yea. then take that number and add it again for the videographers.
    last time I was there it went something like this: practice and qualifier days were wide open, anyone could go anywhere. you could show up and with or without a press pass shoot photos from the edge of the pipe lip as kier busted a mctwist over you (just try not to fall in). once the real deal competitions begin it gets tighter and only those with creds get close. I had a problem shooting the night 1/4 pipe comp because I found there were two different levels of credentials: TransWorld/Snowboarder types and everyone else. because of this I couldn't put my remote flashes on the deck of the 1/4 and had to set them up down at the corner instead :-O. the dual level of credentials comes into play again for the 1/2 pipe comp. they setup media pens along the deck and you have to stay in there during the comp, unless you're a 'name' in which case you go where you like. I was stuck in the pens both times I shot the event and got there eeearly in the morning (8am?) on the day of the finals to stake out a good spot. once they came and put a damn height marker right in front of me and I had to scramble for a new spot :-(

I haven't even shot any new snowboarding in the past 1 1/2 seasons...I'd really like to get out to the US Open and get some new material but there's just too much going on

remember to have some fun!
    Peter

Thread Information