Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Thread: Girls Tennis

Chris Anderson-Photography fidgety's Avatar

Girls Tennis

Shot this afternoon under very cloudy conditions.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Girls Tennis-1web1.jpg   Girls Tennis-1d2n2737web1.jpg   Girls Tennis-1d2n2794web1.jpg  

Re: Girls Tennis

Again, don't click kemp's link, just in case, obviously not photography related

Not bad tennis pics... tennis shooters say you should crop or shoot as tight as possible on tennis shots.. haven't shot a ton of it but shot some last fall and this past spring.. haven't shot any of the girls' season this fall, been too busy and the weather hasn't cooperated with them either. From what I've seen you don't have to worry about full body shots in ones like these where they player isn't outstretched or going after a ball

disregard the ugly expression on her face
    EOS 7D, Canon 24-70F2.8, Sigma 70-200 F2.8 (with or without 1.4 Extender), and posting photos on my website: viewthroughmylens.net

Being a tennis person....I am not real sold on any of these....of course, if they were my daughter, I'd buy them! :-) But, that being said.....
    This last picture, it wouldn't be my favorite, because the girl isn't tracking the ball with her eyes....and she is too late in her swing to make anything useful out of that shot...and her arm is all wompous.... :-)
    I love the tight shot, and the clear background tho....its just the mechanics of the action I'm not sold on.
    Of course, the photographic merits are all great..focus, clear backs on all of the shots...its just the tennis-technical stuff that I am looking at.
    cheers,
    sue.
    Susan Griggs Photography
    The LINK newspaper
    sgriggs2006@yahoo.com

Nikon D90
    Nikon D700
    Nikkor 50mm f1.4
    Nikkor 80-200mm f2.8 AF-D
    Nikkor 70-300mm f4-5.6
    SB-600, SB-900 Speedlights

Chris Anderson-Photography fidgety's Avatar

Firstly, as much as we all try not to do it, I'd prefer not having a photograph added to my post and be told that this is the way "tennis shooters" say tennis is supposed to be photographed. All of the images I posted were presented in the way they are for a reason. If I cropped the first one more tightly the player would be cut off at the kness. The second and third shots are shown full body as I liked that the one of the players' feet were off the ground and presenting sequential motion in their swing. Thanks a bunch.

I personally think all three shots are very nice, both as a parent and photographer's sence. My favorite is the first one, although all three are a great shot of each of these girls in action.

Jim
    http://www.sportsshooter.com/members.html?id=7705
    Canon 1D Mark IIn
    Canon 40D w/ Vertical Grip
    Canon 300 f/2.8L IS
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS
    Canon 24-70 f/2.8L
    Canon 1.4 TC
    580Ex
    Monopod

Thread Information