Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Wanting a new Canon body

Hi all, I have a Canon 40 D and would like to upgrade soon. I have been away and don't have any idea whats new. Any suggestions on which canon bodies that I might look at.

Most of my shooting is low light and fast. Poorly lit nighttime football and poorly lit basket ball gyms.

Excited to hear your suggestions.

Danae

Re: Wanting a new Canon body

Having an older and new body, I it's very obvious the basic rules of fast lens, tripod and flash do more than a body upgrade but my new 70D does have higher ISO than my old camera which helps with low light.

70D would be a good place to start considering it's in a manner progression from your 40D. It will get you the top performing live view focus, and with STM lens, the best video focus. I forgot 40D main features but 70D might get you wireless flash control too.

In my shopping I ended up with most interest in 70D or SL1. SL1 for size and the slight advantage in specifications for the live view focus over T5.

Maybe the best tip I have is some delayed gratification so you have time to try out new products. That steered me to the 70D and new STM lens but no regrets so far.

My pointing out the STM lenses might not be as important for somebody with no interest in video. That said, the new camera got me more interested in quality video than ever.

What lenses do you have now? Like bitflogger said, fast lenses will usually do more for you than a new camera body. But if you've already got fast lenses, I'm certainly happy to help spend your money

And speaking of money - what's your budget?
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

What I use most is Canan 70-200 2.8

Budget cant go above $5000

Danae

Quote Originally Posted by Adaugeo View Post
    What I use most is Canan 70-200 2.8
    Cool - you've got great glass so we can give you permission to buy a new body

I think you've got two serious options - the EOS 70D and the EOS 5D Mark III. You'll get faster burst (7 FPS) with the 70D but it's a smaller APS-C sensor. But the 5D Mk III has a really great full-frame sensor that will allow you to get great image quality as high as ISO 6400. The 5D Mk III burst rate is just 6 FPS, though. That feels slow to me. But for the kind of conditions you're shooting in, I think the 5D Mk III is probably the right thing to do. Here's my full review for the 5D Mk III, from last year:

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Review >>

The 5D Mk III is selling for about US $3400 right now so it's well within your budget. The next step up is the EOS-1D X, which is ridiculously good. But it also costs about $7000.
    Photo-John

I just used a 5d Mk III Yesterday at a football game with a 300 2.8 and it was great. Wish it was mine. I would have liked to figure out the controls a little better before the game though. It was stuck on using the center focus points, and caused some of my shots to have the wrong thing in focus.
    -Shawn
    www.tpsphotos.com

Canon EOS 6d w/Battery Grip
    Canon EOS 620
    Canon EOS Rebel G
    Canon EOS Rebel XS
    Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
    Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM
    Canon EF-S 18-55 f3.5-5.6 IS
    Canon EF 25-80mm f4-5.6 III
    Canon EF 70-210mm f4
    Canon 35-70 f3.5-4.5
    Canon Lens EF 50mm f1.8
    Promaster FTD 6500M
    Canon Speedlite 420ex
    Yongnuo Speedlite YN560-II

Quote Originally Posted by tayl0124 View Post
    I just used a 5d Mk III Yesterday at a football game with a 300 2.8 and it was great. Wish it was mine. I would have liked to figure out the controls a little better before the game though. It was stuck on using the center focus points, and caused some of my shots to have the wrong thing in focus.
    In other words - you weren't tracking the action well enough :P

Most pro sports shooters that I know stick mostly to the center point. Still, I understand, if you're used to moving the point around yourself. It's really pretty easy to do with the 5D Mk III, and that camera has stellar continuous AF performance. The only issue I have with it is the burst rate is a little slow for the stuff I shoot.
    Photo-John

Thread Information