Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Thread: Please help

Please help

Ok, I'm new with cameras, I've been researching the heck out of it, but it's all new to me and I need some help.

We've built a new stunt on our MTB trail, and tomorrow's the christening and I want to take some pictures (I can't ride, I'm injured). I've got an Olympus C-720 Ultra Zoom. The area where I will be taking the shots is deep in the forest, kinda dark, and the bikes will be going quite quick (wall ride).

The camera has a full manual feature, but I just don't know what most of the things do and I'd like to get some decent shots tomorrow if possible. I've used the auto functions in the past and the shots always seem to turn out blurry and dark.

Also, should I be taking my pics in TIFF mode or one of the lower quality modes. I've got a couple of memory cards, so that isn't a factor.

Please help a newbie out.
    Thanks,
    Dave
    Last edited by davet; 02-07-2004 at 06:17 PM.

A bugger
    Your shots come out all blurry because your camera uses a long shutter speed and your subject is moving. You should either use a short shutter speed or pan. In the trails its often so dark that you cannot use a fast shutter speed (without increasing the ISO). Thus you should go with a relatively slow shutter and use flash and pan with the subject. This is called slow sync flash.

Check out the other topics related to flash shots here, you'll find some advice to panning and some example shots..

So here's a couple that turned out (sorta) any hints? I didn't get any of the wallride, it's all on video.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Please help-darryl-step-down.jpg   Please help-sky-gap.jpg   Please help-willi-gap.jpg  

A bugger
    Now the sharpness and exposure look quite ok. Now you should get in closer for the really in your face shots.

Does your camera have a slow shutter mode? A night program or something? That combined with flash and panning works wonders. Here's one taken with a 250$ Fuji A303 digicam in slow sync flash mode..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Please help-ari.jpg  

I practiced with panning and flash some more with better results. Of course it took a few tries, my wife said she was going to jam the camera up my butt if she had to do the drop one more time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Please help-academy-00000.jpg  

This is much much better, you are way better than me at panning, I am horrible at it.

A bugger
    Getting bettery, yeah. And a nice Bullit..

Quote Originally Posted by Ouvinen
    Getting bettery, yeah. And a nice Bullit..
    Heckler, actually. Thanks.

Thread Information