Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>
    The one - The only

O'neill Coldwater Classic 2006 - Santa Cruz, Ca

Here's some from the surf contest. It ends tomorrow so this is just a small sample of what I shot. Hope you all enjoy.

Dave
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails O'neill Coldwater Classic 2006 - Santa Cruz, Ca-66fd7084.jpg   O'neill Coldwater Classic 2006 - Santa Cruz, Ca-66fd7074.jpg   O'neill Coldwater Classic 2006 - Santa Cruz, Ca-66fd6194.jpg   O'neill Coldwater Classic 2006 - Santa Cruz, Ca-_mg_1321.jpg   O'neill Coldwater Classic 2006 - Santa Cruz, Ca-_mg_1354.jpg  

Dave
    My SportsShooter Page
    My Gallery

Canon Digital Gear

The one - The only

Re: O'neill Coldwater Classic 2006 - Santa Cruz, Ca

Some more and of course more to follow after tomorrow finish.

Dave
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails O'neill Coldwater Classic 2006 - Santa Cruz, Ca-66fd5257.jpg   O'neill Coldwater Classic 2006 - Santa Cruz, Ca-66fd6336.jpg   O'neill Coldwater Classic 2006 - Santa Cruz, Ca-66fd6887.jpg   O'neill Coldwater Classic 2006 - Santa Cruz, Ca-66fd7159.jpg   O'neill Coldwater Classic 2006 - Santa Cruz, Ca-66fd7237.jpg  

Dave
    My SportsShooter Page
    My Gallery

Canon Digital Gear

Sports photo junkie jorgemonkey's Avatar

Sweet! You've got some great surfing shots there. Can't wait to see more in the next few days.
    Nikon Samurai #21

Cameras:
    D700
    D300
    D200
    D2H

Lenses:
    Nikon 35mm F1.8, 35 F2, 50mm F1.8, 70-200 F2.8 VR
    Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro
    Tokina 12-24 F4
    SB900 & SB800 flashes

Not-so-recent Nikon Convert livin4lax09's Avatar

what layer effect/border are you using on those shots? they're awesome captures, and I especially like the last shot on the first post. some great colors!

The one - The only

Brent thanks. The last shot on the first set got me wet. I saw the water coming but thought it would land short like the times before. Good thing I was in boardshorts and flip flops.

When I used to do all my own developing in a darkroom (ages ago now), you could make a "Sloppy border" out of cardboard or stock paper. I think it had a better effect back then than these do now. Search "sloppy border" on goolge and you're bound to find a bunch of different types/styles/effects.
    Dave
    My SportsShooter Page
    My Gallery

Canon Digital Gear

The one - The only

Just a couple more.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails O'neill Coldwater Classic 2006 - Santa Cruz, Ca-66fd5222-austin-smith-ford-copy.jpg   O'neill Coldwater Classic 2006 - Santa Cruz, Ca-66fd5194-jesse-columbo.jpg   O'neill Coldwater Classic 2006 - Santa Cruz, Ca-66fd5305.jpg   O'neill Coldwater Classic 2006 - Santa Cruz, Ca-66fd5316-josh-loya.jpg  
    Dave
    My SportsShooter Page
    My Gallery

Canon Digital Gear

Ripper!

Dave-
    These are all sweet. I love the first ones - without any actual surfing. They're very nice. That's the kind of photography that might make you some money if you can get it to the right people and start doing some lifestyle/product photography.

The surf photos are all great. Looks like everything was perfect for the event. I think you can improve some on your post processing. The first batch was a bit dark and the second was blown out in the highlights. Maybe you're rushing the processing to post them here. In any case, I think they could be set up better. If they're worth showing, they're worth setting up right.

About the borders - I have mixed feelings about the "sloppy" borders. I always used a filed-out carrier way back when. But it seems kind of wrong to use it with my digital images. Do you know what I mean? It does look nice. But I feel like it's sort of a misrepresentation. Don't get me wrong - I've done it, too. So far I haven't used any off-the-shelf border software. I've always made something myself. But that's a huge pain in the ass. What I should do is scan one of my old black and white prints and make some templates with those old borders.

Haven't been out to Santa Cruz for a few weeks. Been in Dville. And this weekend I'm going down to Kernville and Lake Isabella to ride. Maybe next week I'll be back home.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The one - The only

John thanks.

Yeah, I know what you mean about the sloppy borders. I dont use off-the-shelf borders, a friend of mine actually designed them for me. So these are truly "one of a kind". I havent used them for a long time, but thought they paired with the surf shots pretty well.

My post processing is hit and miss. I could really use a class or three on PS CS2. I practice and practice. Some shots come out great and others not so great. Thanks.

And you are absolutely right, I rushed the last set that came out - I shouldn't have done that.

Let me know if you're gonna head out to SC!

Dave
    Dave
    My SportsShooter Page
    My Gallery

Canon Digital Gear

Thread Information