Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Thread: Done deal

wannabe

Done deal

Well, it rained the games out tonight. So tomorrow I will be takin my first shots with my f/2.8 EF L 70-200 lens and my 580EX Flash.

Any tips? I got a polarizing filter for the lens, btw. I have taken a few shots and am utterly blown away. I will post one in a few.
    My name is Scott, and I take pictures.

Canon Rebel XT
    EF L 70-200 f/2.8
    Speedlite 580 EX
    SanDisk Ultra IIs

Re: Done deal

So Scott did you get the IS lens? I am considering getting one. Races at PHX are coming up I have to work 2 of the 4 races down there, maybe saturday I can shoot?
    Jimmy B

Quote Originally Posted by hesaias
    Well, it rained the games out tonight. So tomorrow I will be takin my first shots with my f/2.8 EF L 70-200 lens and my 580EX Flash.

Any tips? I got a polarizing filter for the lens, btw. I have taken a few shots and am utterly blown away. I will post one in a few.
    Polarizing filter? You don't want that for sports. What you need is something to protect the glass from damage, and something to keep the dirt and dust off the glass, as well as the occasional finger print.
    What you do want is: Hoya UV(0) filter and make certain it is the (0) not the (1) or any other number as the (0) is the only one that will not affect colors.

Now I have a question: Tonight was supposed to be football right? Was it lightning? And if not why did they cancel? I think only one game in Indiana got rained out and that was due to the field being flooded, otherwise everyone played in the rain Thats football though!

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

wannabe

Quote Originally Posted by JSPhoto
    Polarizing filter? You don't want that for sports. What you need is something to protect the glass from damage, and something to keep the dirt and dust off the glass, as well as the occasional finger print.
    What you do want is: Hoya UV(0) filter and make certain it is the (0) not the (1) or any other number as the (0) is the only one that will not affect colors.

Now I have a question: Tonight was supposed to be football right? Was it lightning? And if not why did they cancel? I think only one game in Indiana got rained out and that was due to the field being flooded, otherwise everyone played in the rain Thats football though!

JS
    Thanks for the info on the filter. Guess I shoulda questioned the salesman. We did not play due to local flooding. Also, fewer fans show up in he rain, so the gate money is much lower. Last week, there were about 15,000 at the Gaffney Byrnes game.

Canon Rebel XT
    EF L 70-200 f/2.8
    Speedlite 580 EX
    SanDisk Ultra IIs

wannabe

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy B
    So Scott did you get the IS lens? I am considering getting one. Races at PHX are coming up I have to work 2 of the 4 races down there, maybe saturday I can shoot?
    Jimmy B
    Nah, I did not get the IS lens. Maybe one day. I got the 580 EX and a PIXMA ip6700 Printer at the same time.

Did you see my shots of Charlotte? I think the 2.8 wolda made the diff. I really do not know how much the IS would have helped though.

Canon Rebel XT
    EF L 70-200 f/2.8
    Speedlite 580 EX
    SanDisk Ultra IIs

Nah, I did not get the IS lens. Maybe one day. I got the 580 EX and a PIXMA ip6700 Printer at the same time.

Did you see my shots of Charlotte? I think the 2.8 wolda made the diff. I really do not know how much the IS would have helped though.
    Scott,
    The IS would have also made a big difference, thats why we use it for motorsports and other sports, especially at night and in poor lighting..

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Thanks for the info on the filter. Guess I shoulda questioned the salesman. We did not play due to local flooding. Also, fewer fans show up in he rain, so the gate money is much lower. Last week, there were about 15,000 at the Gaffney Byrnes game.
    Scott,
    I have found very few salesmen actually know about filters, but they all are taught to to sell polarizers because they are expensive. The Hoya UV(0) isn't cheap, but then most salesmen don't know filters affect color and that this particular one will not affect color. All it does is keep out UV and protect the glass on the lens. You can find them for 77mm lens for around $46....cheap insurance! I have now replaced three in the 4 years I have used them, and I have two that use the 77mm version. But $48 is much less than replacing glass or having the lens repaired due to chips and scratches.

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Thread Information