Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Thread: Panning

What does this button do? Ooops. JDub's Avatar

Panning

Well after some failed attempts to pan at a mountain bike race a couple weeks ago with my Sigma 70-200, I gave it another shot yesterday using my 50mm 1.8 prime lens. I found that my panning was much improved. I think the 70-200 is just too big and front heavy to pan on the Digital Rebel without a battery pack to offset the weight.

However, the lightweight 50mm seemed to be a great lens for getting pan shots for me. I had about a 50 - 60% success rate. I also found that shooting continuously seemed to help, even if you hit all 3 or 4 shots you can pick the best.

Anyway, here is one of the pics I got from the weekend. This is the only one I have access to here at work, I'll upload some of the other good ones tonight. Thanks to all who helped me get things dialed in on the pans.

I used ISO100, 1/40 shutter speed in TV mode with no flash since I was in the open. Also, I would use Manual Focus and focus in on the ground where I expected the rider to come through, eliminating the chance I wouldn't be able to get/keep a focus lock.

Last edited by JDub; 05-24-2004 at 08:50 AM.

Red X

I wanna see it, I wanna see it! But there's only a red x.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    I wanna see it, I wanna see it! But there's only a red x.
    Darn Pbase....

Not sure what happened, but I took the pic and uploaded it to my server and fixed the link. Should be there now for sure.

Talking

Nice image it is the one from your PAD dont worry i cant hot link from pbase either not that i am worried. I think you need to alter the setting to change the sutter speed 1/40 at f/13 is a little slow, idealy you would want to open the aperature up to raise the speed.
    I did quite a bit of cyclo cross this winter and found this was the best way even in the low light!
    Simon Kirk

Dynamic Light Photography

www.pbase.com/simonkirk

Quote Originally Posted by devoninbred
    Nice image it is the one from your PAD dont worry i cant hot link from pbase either not that i am worried. I think you need to alter the setting to change the sutter speed 1/40 at f/13 is a little slow, idealy you would want to open the aperature up to raise the speed.
    I did quite a bit of cyclo cross this winter and found this was the best way even in the low light!
    Yep that is my PAD from PBase for yesterday. I have a couple of better pans but got home late and that was the first one I came across.

I typically shoot with high shutter speeds, but for the corner pans I intentionally force a slow shutter speed (which closes the aperature) so I get the blurred background effect.

Here are two others that I snapped yesterday. You can see in the first one, the guy is really dirty from a fall off a jump earlier in the race. I thought they turned out pretty well, comments appreciated.

Thread Information