Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Thread: Indy 500

Indy 500

Here are a few shots from this years Indy 500.

A view from the front of the pits

Ryan Hunter Reay finished 3rd place....you would drive fast too if you saw my ugly mug in your mirror.

sticky rubber

tools of the trade

Pippa Mann got a little high in turn 4 and brushed the wall. This made for a short day of racing for Pippa

Little did Tony Kanaan know this would be his year. In his 12th Indy 500 start Tony's finally grabs the checkered flag. This has Tony tying the 1957 winner Sam Hanks for the latest Indy 500 career win.

Re: Indy 500

Nice set! I love that it's just not cars going around the track! As someone who appreciates the power and technology of auto racing but who doesn't follow it, it's nice to see that variety of perspectives. The mirror shot is my favorite!

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

hah, I see Pippa hasn't changed from her Indy Lights days.

I'd just dodge RHR's face a little lighter in the mirror shot - or have used fill flash.

In the wheel shot, that tyre looks like it's already kissed the wall, or does the paint come off with the flex while running?

Did you apply the vignette on the wheel airgun in post, or do you have a lens that looks that way wide open?
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Matt, thanks. I agree this time of year we do see a lot of car action shots (and some very nice ones at that). I thought I would go for something a little different this time. I actually only shot a little bit of race action as my shooting position/assignment was shooting pit lane. The thing with indy is if you are in the inside of the track the pictures of race action are a little bit boring in my opinion. That is unless you're in the turns or you can get some good crash action. Road tracks give you much better shooting positions for some really nice car action.

Paul, yes poor Pippa. just got a little high and tapped the wall. They brought her in and that was it. I did not get a chance to see the damage but I was surprised they were not able to fix it and get her back out.

Sadly the mirror shot with RHR was a last second thought. Hindsight being 20/20 I would've liked to have thrown the 600 EX-RT on the nose cone where it would have been out a frame and it lit up his face. I will have to take a second look at that in post and see if I can bring that up a little bit.

I do not know what caused the scrubbing of the letters on the tire. I do not believe it was from wall contact as that is the inside edge of the tire. Because tire pressures and a position are marked on the outside edge of the tire this is the side that is always facing up. The inside edge is generally facing down and lettering gets scrubbed off as they are moved around the pits.

The wheel airgun was shot with a 24-72 f/2.8L ll. If I remember correctly the only post work done to that shot was the vignette and a little contrast adjustment.

Unfortunately I did not get a chance to go by the CPS booth and even see if they had the new 200 to 400 lens available. I do not believe from my shooting position there would have been any advantage but it would have been nice to play with it. Paul if you do get a chance to play with that at LeMans I think that would be an excellent lens for that type of venue and look forward to seeing what you think of it.

Love how you presented your day at Indy. Don't always have to have wrecks and wheels flying in the air to tell the story.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Thread Information