Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Thread: Volleyball

Volleyball

Some pictures from the first Volleyball Tournament. It was a long day but we had 2 teams from our club who ended up playing for the championship, so it was a successful day.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Volleyball-b-dsc_2026.jpg   Volleyball-b-dsc_2177.jpg   Volleyball-b-dsc_2182.jpg   Volleyball-b-dsc_2269.jpg  
    Tom

Nikon D700 with grip
    Nikon D80
    Tamron 1.4 Pro teleconverter
    Tamron LD Di SP (IF) 70-200MM f/2.8
    Tamron Aspherical LD XR Di SP (IF) 28-75 MM f/2.8
    Nikon 18-135MM f/3.5 - 5.6G ED
    Nikon 50MM D f/1.4
    SB600 Speedlight

Re: Volleyball

Love the first two shots. V Ball is very difficult for me. Glad to see someone gets it right.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Coming from you OT, that is a great compliment. I think your photos are outstanding.

The first picture was at ISO 1600 and the others were all at 800.

I still do a lot of experimenting with lenses and settings but I am starting to get a better feel for things that work and things that don't work as well. The hard part is we are in different places for each tournament so different lighting situations. This gym was actually better than most.
    Tom

Nikon D700 with grip
    Nikon D80
    Nikon 50MM D f/1.4
    SB600 Speedlight

I notice that you had some ambient light from above which I'm sure helped. My big problem with V Ball is I don't know the sport well enough to anticipate the action. With basketball, football and baseball I am on top of what's happening but with volleyball I seem to always be behind. Hard to play catchup in a fast paced game like that.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

It is definitely a sport where you need to anticipate what is going to happen and pre-focus on a spot and hope the balls comes to that spot. And then of course hope that your timing is good and you actually get the ball in the shot.

I have gotten better at knowing where the ball should be going. And equally important, the girls have gotten better at actually being able to get the ball where it should be going so that helps as well.

The new challenge is as they get older, they hit a lot harder, and things happen much faster.
    Tom

Nikon D700 with grip
    Nikon D80
    Nikon 50MM D f/1.4
    SB600 Speedlight

Chris Anderson-Photography fidgety's Avatar

The action is nice but the images appear to be over-processed with noise reduction and/or sharpening.
    Chris Anderson
    Sportsshooter.com Member
    Southcreek Global Media
    MaxPreps

I am impressed. I did do quite a bit of both noise reduction and sharpening. I was not sure it was noticable, but obviously it was and it was too much. I have to learn when enough is enough. I did post some more VB pictures that have no post processesing done excpet to resize them to post. I would love some thoughts on those, in particular if they need some post processing or not.

Thanks for the feedback.
    Tom

Nikon D700 with grip
    Nikon D80
    Nikon 50MM D f/1.4
    SB600 Speedlight

I have enjoyed shooting volleyball this year...I too, had trouble at first keeping up w/ teh game (I am only a church vball player once a year at picnics!)..
    These were shot w/ my Nikon D40 w/ my 55-200mm zoom and sb-400 speedlight. I now have new equipment, but will prob still shoot the same setup...
    Granted, you are limited by your flash recycle time, and you have to be pretty good at your timing....but it seemed to work ok...
    cheers
    sue
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Volleyball-forum-pic.jpg   Volleyball-forum-2.jpg  

actually, I have noticed that when I process my pics for the web, they really seem to lose a lot on the clarity....can anyone point me to a thread to help me figure out how to reduce them better for show? I cranked them down to 100 resolution...maybe thats just going too far, even for screen?
    chow..
    sue

I visited Malaysia to join the Basketball sports here. The big event and a lot of famous player to join, I try to take some photo for that. Please check here to view more photo and information.

Volleyball-basketball-sports.jpg

Nice Photo for sports >>> if you want play basketballs you can visit here this website .

Thread Information