Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Thread: Girls HS BBall

Girls HS BBall

I don't own strobes, and would need to make a LOT of money doing this before going that route I may try and bounce my Promaster 7500 flash sometime this season to see how that does, but I don't mind the shots I got today, though I could only get 1/500 at ISO 3200 in this gym that has lights spaced a bit apart and one of them dividers at midcourt blocking light either way from above.

1. Opening tip 5'8" Junior vs 6'7" Freshman .. the photo cut off the bottom of her shoes but I wanted the look on the shorter girls face realizing who she was jumping against to the start the game.

EOS 7D, Canon 24-70F2.8, Sigma 70-200 F2.8 (with or without 1.4 Extender), and posting photos on my website: viewthroughmylens.net

Re: Girls HS BBall

Wow, #50 got some air!

Nice series!

Your editing is welcomed. A picture is worth...

All can look. Few will see. Less will know.

The Truth can be anything it will. I just want to know Truth.

I'm not even sure that the defender even left her feet on the shot.. I really wanted the jump ball shot between the two but there was too much distraction of kids running into the gym getting their seats after I got the first shot between the two. Played with the 6'7 girls dad in city/men's and church leagues over the last 10+ years, so while I was shooting our local team I wanted some of her also so I can give him a freebie.

One more.. it's not that great a shot.. but really shows how long her arms are
    EOS 7D, Canon 24-70F2.8, Sigma 70-200 F2.8 (with or without 1.4 Extender), and posting photos on my website: viewthroughmylens.net

If I was getting that good of quality in the gym I was shooting in a majority of the time at ISO 3200 I would never consider strobes. Very nice action shots and the quality is more than acceptable for the most applications. The 50D is doing a great job. Were these processed with a noise reduction program?
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

It's nice when someone actually has to ask if there was noise reduction ;) Tells me I didn't over-do it with Neat Image like I have at times on the hockey pictures! So yes, Neat Image was used manually without using the 'profile' setting in the program, I just take the extra 20 minutes or so to do each one since I'm only doing one game a night usually (community college is double headers but still haven't gotten to one of their games) and post 15-25 photos usually.

Thread Information