Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

College basketball: First shoot of the season

This is phase 2 of posting photos I took during the basketball game played between local Butte College and College of Alameda last Friday night. I previously posted one photo from the game which Alameda won 69-58.

These five images were taken during the first half of the game when I was using my D700 + 50 mm. f/1.8D. This small and lightweight (a mere 5.5 oz.) prime lens is a pleasure to use after the heavy bulky zooms to which we've become accustomed. I parked myself in my favorite spot to shoot basketball games: in back of the baseline behind the backboard. Exposure was manually set at 1/500, f/2.8, and ISO 3200.

Comments about the five photos are listed below.

Responses are welcome.

Bob

1. With an FX camera the 50mm. lens is wide enough to capture a full-body shot of #34 who is the tallest man on the Butte squad at 6'8".

2. #22 is only 6"5". I'm not sure what was happening with #34 on the right as I snapped the shutter.

4. The Alameda man behind #22 is the only basketball player I have ever seen wearing sunglasses.

5. #32 got a trip to the free throw line after an Alameda player committed the foul deed depicted here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails College basketball: First shoot of the season-7rb_1254_2.jpg   College basketball: First shoot of the season-7rb_1209_2.jpg   College basketball: First shoot of the season-7rb_1219_2.jpg   College basketball: First shoot of the season-7rb_1315_2.jpg   College basketball: First shoot of the season-7rb_1225_2.jpg  

Re: College basketball: First shoot of the season

Super action Bob! Your position gives you a great angle for layups and drives to the basket. Not all gyms or field houses allow access from this vantage point. I love to shot with a wide angle when I get right under the basket. Glad to see you have success with the 50mm f 1.8 with basketball. I really like mine but have not had a lot of success using it for sports, just doesn't seem to focus fast enough for me. When close to the action like this I usually opt for the 28-70mm f2.8 or with direct access under the basket I will sometimes shoot the 12-24mm for a more dramatic effect.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Thanks Larry. The 50 mm. f/1.8 seems to me to be fast enough in focusing. I wish I could say the same thing for my 85 mm. f/1.8!

I am able to shoot from this location everywhere I have been so far except at local Chico State where only media types are allowed to work the baseline. There I'm usually shooting from one of the corners of the gym.

I'm adding another image to this thread. I just finished editing it this morning.

Bob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails College basketball: First shoot of the season-7rb_1317_2.jpg  

Bob have you talked to the Media relations people at Chico State? I shoot regularly at Morehead State and the Media people are very cooperative with me and give me full access and media credentials. I in return supply them with a few pictures from each game that they have the option of using on the university web site and they always give me photo credits. It works out well for both of us.

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Larry,

What I did was contact the Chico State Athletic Director. I told her that I was an avid amateur photographer interested in shooting sports events at Acker Gym and requested permission to photograph basketball games from the baseline. I mentioned that my son had attended Chico State, and I enclosed some examples of my sports photographs. It didn't work. I was turned down. Liability issues were cited. (That may not be the real reason, but I can't say for sure).

Maybe it would be advisable for me to move to another state where Southern hospitality is in vogue like in Kentucky, but that's a long way to go from California!

I'm not sure why my photos posted in pairs. That's the first time that has happened. Any idea why?

When it comes to sports photography we pretty much seem to be operating on the same wavelength. I'm glad to know that there's at least one guy on this forum with whom I am sympatico! We older guys have to stick together as the younger crowd moves in to take charge!

Bob

I guess I was lucky to get the reception that I did at MSU, but the relationship has been very beneficial for both of us. I also happen to have a good friend who is the assistant commissioner for media relations for the OVC the conference that MSU is in. It helped that I could drop his name and get conference creds as well.

Not sure that we are fossils Bob, just that our sports interest seem to run the more traditional team sport route. I have to admit there just isn't much else in my rural area to get my photo juices going. Wish I had more variety but it's just not here without some heavy duty road trips.

Not sure why your images posted the way they did.

I got the D3s today and am anxious to give it a test run. Don't have another game scheduled till this weekend so I'll just have to be patient.

Nikon Samurai #13

Larry,

It always helps to know somebody in authority! I suspect that I could work the baseline at Chico State if I knew the right party. Maybe my day will come!

I haven't fossilized yet, but I don't move quite as fast as formerly. However, to date I have managed to successfully dodge any fast moving football or basketball players heading in my direction and threatening to knock me for a loop. I'm trusting that my good luck will continue.

I'll wager that you have ants in your pants in anticipation of giving the D3s its initial workout. Naturally I expect to see pristine images emanating from Kentucky in the very near future.

There's a lot of basketball tournament action about to get underway here locally. There's a girls high school tournament scheduled to commence tomorrow that I expect to attend. I much prefer the faster boys/mens game, but I'm eager to shoot something besides volleyball for a change of pace.

Bob

I've got a girls HS game Saturday and MSU women on Sunday so I'll have a chance to give the D3s a workout.

As for getting knocked end for end, that has happened to me a couple of time on the football sidelines, but no permanent injury or equipment failures because of the mishaps. I even got bowled over during the championship game of the OVC basketball tournament in Nashville last spring but other than some scratches and bangs on the 80-200mm hood no harm done.

Nikon Samurai #13

Thread Information