Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Motorsport Images

I would welcome your feedback on these photos taken at the Silverstone Race Circuit in the UK a couple of weekends ago.

This is my first time uploading images to this forum so a) I hope it works and b) you are not too harsh on me.

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Motorsport Images-dsc_4341.jpg   Motorsport Images-dsc_4605.jpg   Motorsport Images-dsc_4517.jpg   Motorsport Images-dsc_4420.jpg  

I am pretty new to this motorsport malarkey myself - but I've gained some recent experience. So for what it's worth, here are a few thoughts...

Overall, these are well exposed, technically competent and sharp images. Nice work!

Shots 1, 2 and 4 look a little bit flat on my monitor - might be worth beefing up the contrast/saturation or tweaking the levels a little.

Shot 2 may have worked better with a narrower DOF, isolating the car from the background - but I do like the jaunty angle.

Shot 4 is probably the best panning shot of the bunch - what were the settings? Looks like you may be ready to try and pan at a slower shutter speed, blurring the background even more and maximising that sense of speed.

I'd be tempted to crop all the pics slightly to show a little less track in the foreground.

Well, there you have it... a few ideas, hope they're helpful.

If you're bored and you want to see my efforts at motorsport, have a look at: http://www.tgsphoto.co.uk/ae150804 and http://www.tgsphoto.co.uk/ae080804

Looking forward to seeing more of your pics!
    Sport in Essex in Pictures
    <a href="http://www.tgsphoto.co.uk"><strong>www.tgsphoto.co.uk</strong></a>

--Shots 1, 2 and 4 look a little bit flat on my monitor - might be worth beefing up the contrast/saturation or tweaking the levels a little.

I have already tweaked them slightly, I will try a little more.

--Shot 2 may have worked better with a narrower DOF, isolating the car from the background - but I do like the jaunty angle.

I agree, probably would have been better without Mr & Mrs Subaru in the background too.

--Shot 4 is probably the best panning shot of the bunch - what were the settings? Looks like you may be ready to try and pan at a slower shutter speed, blurring the background even more and maximising that sense of speed.

This was shot at 1/250th which I have found gives a good ratio of motion blur against successful results. Unfortunately (or possibly fortunatley) I was being paid to take photos of the single seaters so I needed as mainy successful shots as possible otherwise I would have gone slower. Panning is one of my key strengths, I take approx 1400 panning shots a week at work. I have only had my D70 for a month and I have already taken well over 5000 photos, 95% of them are panning!

Thanks for your input, I will post some more over the next few days.

--I take approx 1400 panning shots a week at work.

Crikey... that's a serious amount of panning! I'm going to have to get out there and get some more practice!
    Sport in Essex in Pictures
    <a href="http://www.tgsphoto.co.uk"><strong>www.tgsphoto.co.uk</strong></a>

Thread Information