Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>

Z6 Performance & Service

Since I can't afford a DSLR yet what can be done with my DiMAGE Z6? I use it for shots around the house and at our kid's activities. I've taken a lot of pictures, should I find a reputable shop and have it cleaned? Is it possible to improve the speed at which it takes pictures in "Continous Mode" (kid's sporting events); drop the image quality or use faster SD Cards? Since I take a lot pictures outside (Florida) would a UV filter help (if so, which brand is recommended)? Has anyone used Wide Angle lens on a camera like this (again, what are the preferred brands)?
    TIA,
    Ray

Re: Z6 Performance & Service

Welcome to the site, Ray!

An interesting question and one I approve of! I usually encourage people to try improving their technique before buying a new camera. So, first of all, take a look at our Point-and-Shoot Digital Camera Tips article in the Learn section.

I don't think you can actually improve the speed of your camera. It is what it is. And for action, a digital SLR will always be better. However, learning to plan your shots will make a difference. Pre-focusing instead of relying on slow continuous focus will help.

Polarizers are great. You can pay a lot or a little. For your camera, I'd look for one in the $25-35 range. You don't want to put a cheap filter in front of your nice lens. I think Tiffen is good, as long as you don't buy their cheapest stuff.

I've used accessory lenses on Canon compact digital cameras and they work very well. My preference is to stick with the manufacturer's lenses. So, I would look on eBay for a Konica Minolta wide-angle made for your camera. If you can't find one, companies like Kenko and Tiffen make third-party accessory lenses that I would trust. Be careful, though. There are a lot of very inexpensive accessory lenses for sale online. We see posts here about them and they are usually pretty bad. So stick with known brands and try to get something that's definitely made for your camera.

Hope that helps.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thread Information