Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>

Who's Got a Sony A700?

Who's got the new Sony A700 digital SLR? What do you think of it? I got to take a quick look at it at the PhotoPlus Expo in New York, but I haven't really had a chance to use one yet. I really liked the A100 but wonder how the A700 differs in the field. I like the feel of the A700 better and like the way they rearranged the controls. I also thought Sony's SuperSteady Shot image stabilization was excellent in the A100. Has it been noticeably improved in the A700?

If you don't know anything about the A700, or you're just learning about it, you can read the Sony A700 user reviews and my Sony A700 preview article. Those will get you up to speed on Sony's new digital SLR. But I'd like to hear from people who already own one - especially if they've also owned or used the Sony A100.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Who's Got a Sony A700?-_mg_5177.jpg   Who's Got a Sony A700?-_mg_5179.jpg   Who's Got a Sony A700?-_mg_5195.jpg  
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Re: Who's Got a Sony A700?

I've got the A100 and I'm working on my husband to get me the A700 hehe. I'm using the "Every photographer needs two camera bodies!" deal .. I think I'm starting to convince him

Amber
    Last edited by AmberC; 11-16-2007 at 11:07 AM.
    Amber
    cam: Sony a100 DSLR
    Please do not edit my images.. thanks

Good Plan!

Quote Originally Posted by AmberC
    I've got the A100 and I'm working on my husband to get me the A700 hehe. I'm using the "Every photographer needs to camera bodies!" deal
    Gogd plan, Amber! I wish you luck. What do you think the A700 has to offer that your A100 doesn't?

While you're working on convincing your husband, we could use a review for your A100! We always need more reviews for every camera. And everyone's experience and opinion counts

Read and write Sony Alpha A100 reviews >>

Thanks in advance for your review!
    Photo-John

Re: Good Plan!

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Gogd plan, Amber! I wish you luck. What do you think the A700 has to offer that your A100 doesn't?

While you're working on convincing your husband, we could use a review for your A100! We always need more reviews for every camera. And everyone's experience and opinion counts

Read and write Sony Alpha A100 reviews >>

Thanks in advance for your review!
    Honestly, I dont think it really offer's anything that the a100 doesn't. I haven't had a chance to play with one yet, but I think it really just has slight things different like the bigger screen etc that just makes things a little nicer. If I got the a700, I'd probably use that as a main and my a100 as a back up.

I will try to write a review. I'm not very good at that sort of thing though.. :blush2:

Amber
    Amber

I will try to write a review. I'm not very good at that sort of thing though.. :blush2:
    Everybody is qualified and everybody's review counts. Of course, some people know more than others and some people write better than others. But the point of user reviews is to have lots of opinions from all kinds of people. So your review is just as valuable as anyone else's. Plus, I'm sure you're better than you think. You make good posts. Why wouldn't you be able to write a good review?
    Photo-John

I've read that they solved the noise at high ISO, and the AF is very fast, it also works way better in low light (a100 hunts for focus in very low light). Some people complain that is not as sharp as the A100, maybe because it's applying too much noise reduction.
    Users who like long exposures are happy that they don't get purple parts after a 20 min exposure.

When you use the A100 and a sigma 500 flash, it under exposes (unless you use it wireless, then it's perfect). I read from users that this does not happen anymore with the A700 (although I think that you have to set the flash to wireless, even if it's mounted on the camera, and won't underexpose).

Well, I guess that someone with the camera can give you more details.

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

Who's got the new Sony A700 digital SLR? What do you think of it? I got to take a quick look at it at the PhotoPlus Expo in New York, but I haven't really had a chance to use one yet. I really liked the A100 but wonder how the A700 differs in the field. I like the feel of the A700 better and like the way they rearranged the controls. I also thought Sony's SuperSteady Shot image stabilization was excellent in the A100. Has it been noticeably improved in the A700?
    Me me me!!! I have one!! Just got back from shooting at the Salton Sea today. It handles excellent in the field. So much better than my a100. It reminds me of my old Maxxum 7, except even better! I also bought the VG70 grip for the a700! It's wonderful!

As far as the SSS, I didn't really push it to it's limits. I'd say it may be slightly improved.

I'm definitely going to write a review for it, but I'm going to wait until I've used it a little more. I'm going to Vancouver next week, so maybe when I get back..

Honestly, I dont think it really offer's anything that the a100 doesn't. I haven't had a chance to play with one yet, but I think it really just has slight things different like the bigger screen etc that just makes things a little nicer. If I got the a700, I'd probably use that as a main and my a100 as a back up.
    You really need to handle one... Well, unless you think you can afford one, don't even think about handling one..

It makes my a100 feel like a toy. Faster, more accurate AF and AF tracking. I'll even risk to say it's even faster than the Maxxum 7 was. Faster continuous shooting. Much quieter shutter sound too, I'm no longer disturbing the peace when I shoot. I find the metering on the a700 is much more accurate than the a100. Flash performance is much better - no more lazy eye!! Not to mention the PC terminal on the body.

The best improvement, however, is that the a700 is a dream to use. It's quick and easy to change any and all settings, either with the dedicated buttons and switches (I'm sooo happy to see the meter mode selector switch back), or with the quick navi function. The a100 used to frustrate me if I wanted to change metering modes or focus area selections.

Oh yes, much better high ISO performance as well..

Quote Originally Posted by Pisco
    I've read that they solved the noise at high ISO, and the AF is very fast, it also works way better in low light (a100 hunts for focus in very low light). Some people complain that is not as sharp as the A100, maybe because it's applying too much noise reduction.
    Users who like long exposures are happy that they don't get purple parts after a 20 min exposure.

When you use the A100 and a sigma 500 flash, it under exposes (unless you use it wireless, then it's perfect). I read from users that this does not happen anymore with the A700 (although I think that you have to set the flash to wireless, even if it's mounted on the camera, and won't underexpose).
    Yes, that's right. Last weekend I was shooting my friends in the dark of night out in the desert. The a100 would just hunt and hunt, and hunt some more... The a700 locked focus in a heartbeat.. No more missing shots due to focus hunting!!

About the sharpness issue, I heard this was an issue with JPEG's and with FW version 1.0. I think they addressed this issue with the release of FW 2.0. Doesn't matter to me.. I shoot in RAW (well, cRAW now).

Haven't tried long exposures past about 10 seconds yet so not sure about the purpling thing..

Hmm I'm not sure about the sigma 500 flash. I have the Sony 56 flash myself.. It also had underexposure issues with my a100, but it wasn't all the time.. With the a700 and my Sony 56, the flash results are much better and more consistent.

That sounds awesome Canuck! I'm very excited

Amber
    Amber

Great report!

That's a great A700 report. I think you're ready to write a review. Why don't you post one now and we can replace or add to it it when you get back from Vancouver? I think what you posted here would make a good review, in and of itself.

I agree that the camera feels better. Although the A100 was pretty good, it has a bit of a rickety feel to me and it's sort of a brick, design-wise. The A700 looks and feels a lot more solid and polished. I can't say anything about the performance because I only handled it at a tradeshow.

It's nice to hear that the shutter (it's actually the mirror) is quieter. Because one of the first things I noticed about the A100 was the ridiculously loud shutter. About the second day I had it I took it to a wedding and after one shot I was afraid to use it again. It may be the loudest shutter I've ever heard. And that rules out the A100 as a practical camera for any type of work where stealth or being quiet are required.
    Photo-John

Oops sorry John.. I didn't get a chance to write up a review before the trip.. I'm back now so I will try to write it up as soon as I get the chance. Well, back to work..

Well, I did it! I finally wrote my review for the a700. It's a tad lengthy, but there's a lot to be said about it.

Sony A700 user reviews

Talking Re: Who's Got a Sony A700?

Hello all!
    I am the proud owner of a Sony DSLR-A700, too. As background, I was an old-time Minolta (MC/MD lens era) XE-7, XK-AE & XK Motor user for longer than I wish to admit (I've probably dated myself already). For various reasons, a few years ago I sold off my entire kit (dark room and all), and went the digital point & shoot route. I started to get the itch to do some semi-serious shooting again and as a Minolta loyalist, was drawn to purchase the Sony DSLR-A100. While an excellent entry level DLSR, the first time I handled the A700, that was it. Period. Since purchasing it, I've taken probably thousands of shots with the various lenses I've been accumulating. So far they include the SAL50F14, SAL100M28, SAL1680Z (my favorite), SAL75300, and an SAL500F80. Most likely a few more wide lenses and the macro light this year. I've been doing mostly nature and landscapes thus far, and I haven't been able to find anything I strongly dislike with the system. I've kept the firmware current and have been able to detect the changes with each update. By and large I shoot in RAW or RAW/JPEG mode, and still marvel at the detail available and sharpness (provided, of course I do my part). There was a learning curve for the various functions, but I've taught myself to take advantage of most.

Thanks for a great forum; I'm enjoying the content!

PS: Canuck935, I thououghly enjoyed your review. Very nice work!

"Every photographer needs two camera bodies!"

Amber
    Everybody knows that...:thumbsup:
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

The A700 is to the A100 as the KM 5D was to 7D. Infact the A700 is based not on the A100, but the KM 7D. The A700 is a camera in a different class. You might as well compare an XTi to the 40D.
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Quote Originally Posted by SLUFDRIVER

PS: Canuck935, I thououghly enjoyed your review. Very nice work!
    Hey thanks, I'm glad you liked it. It sounds like you're doing quite well with yours. We'd love to see a review of your own too.

Welcome to the forum!

:14:lalalalalala:14: I'm not listening to the great reviews for the a700 :14:lalalalalala:14:Trying not to covet:biggrin5: :mad2:ahhhh to late. I want one. I'm going to get more exp with my a100 then maybe I can pull the wife later on for one.

Thread Information