Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>

What's the going price for a beercan?

Just saw one for sale here in Copenhagen for 1800kr = 326 us $, is that outrageous? Bearing in mind that Denmark is expensive and the dollar is low. Same guy is also selling a Minolta 24mm f2.8 for 1500kr = 271 us$, is that worth considering? The two together is still less than what I would pay in the shop for the Sony 50mm f1.4... (which I'm going to order from the UK I think, a lot cheaper).

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this one!

Mette
    My Sony Alpha 700 and I have been joined by a Tamron 200-500mm

Re: What's the going price for a beercan?

I just did a search on ebay and they are selling between $ 153 - $ 255
    Somebody paid $ 299 for one
    No idea about the 24 f/2.8

I guess it's probably in the high end then, but the dollar is really low compared to the krone and then if I get anything from outside the EU, I'll get hammered on import duty...And I wouldn't have to pay postage as well as being able to check out the lenses...LOL I'm really trying hard to talk myself into this

Canuck, what do you recogn??? Will these lenses make me a happy woman?

Mette

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

I got my beercan for $200 US. Prices in Europe are usually always higher than here in the US, so it's hard to compare. Going price for the Sony 50mm f/1.4 in the US is $349.

Considering you can get the beercan and 24 f/2.8 for less than the Sony 50mm f/1.4, that just may be a good deal for you. Plus, I'm not sure how easy or hard these lenses are to find in your market, so the whole supply/demand thing plays into the equation here as well.

Well, he'll sell me the pair for 524 US $....It's an English guy living in Denmark and he seems really nice (another a700 person ), so I feel quite safe. I'm just struggling a little to justify the 24mm when I have the Sigma 17-35mm, I think I could very easily be subjected to LAS

Mette

But imagine, tonight I can be the happy beercan owner and start posting images on the beercan thread

Is he nearby? If you can you might want to just try out the 24mm for a few hours to see if it's something you'd like or not. Even though you have the focal length covered with another lens, shooting with a fixed focal length is a unique experience..

Quote Originally Posted by Pink Dragonfly
    Well, he'll sell me the pair for 524 US $....It's an English guy living in Denmark and he seems really nice (another a700 person ), so I feel quite safe. I'm just struggling a little to justify the 24mm when I have the Sigma 17-35mm, I think I could very easily be subjected to LAS

Mette
    fair price for both, considering what they've been going for on ebay, especially compared to places like KEH.com (beercan's don't seem to come up at re-sellers often). I too, would have a hard time justifying both.
    I scored a beercan for myself about a month ago for about $150 USD shipped on ebay. The lens is in good shape, but didn't come with a hood. Not sure if I'll miss it.
    On ebay, $150-230 seems to be the range for the beercan with caps and hood, if you're willing to go with the bit of risk it carries and the hassle of bidding, waiting, etc.

I haven't really been keeping an eye on prices for lenses like the 24mm, as I'm wanting a macro next. I haven't developed a flair for doing landscapes

once I get some time at a good light situation, I'll be posting up on the beercan thread. Time is hard to find with a 7 month old at home

Definitely get both at that price!

I AM NOW THE HAPPY AND PROUD BEERCAN OWNER :23:

Imagine, 24 hours ago I had no idea... It was just random surfing that led me to this lens! The English guy that I bought it from was REALLY nice, we spent 3 hours chatting while my daughter was playing with his kids. The first SONY/Minolta owner I've met since coming to Denmark. The lens is SO nice, the guy said he'd had 3 other beercans (and apparently they vary a fair bit) and this was better than the rest. In fact he'd had it with him at some photo-expo where it was performing better than this fancy Canon equivalent

He thought I should sleep on the 24mm, but it's mine if I want...He tested it against my old Minolta 24-85mm kit lens and it was a little better but he was rather amazed how well my kit lens performed

We're going to hook up again, maybe start the Sony/Minolta Club in Denmark (just kidding! ) LOL

Can't wait to try it out properly and post MY images on the beercan thread

Thank you all for your input Logbiter, looking forward to your beercan shots!

Mette

Hooray!!! Congrats!! Can't wait to see yours and logbiter's beercan images! :thumbsup:

It sounds like a great exchange, congratulations!

I've missed some great light in the sunrise/sunsets the last couple of days:cryin:

Thanks for the encouragement.

Hey Mette - Congrats on the new lens.

I look forward to seeing your postings.

Dawn

Congratulations, you won't regret it. The beercan was one of my first "quality" driven lens purchases for my a100 when I got that. Upgraded the a100 to an a700, but still love the 'ol beercan...

The 24mm is a nice lens, and will hold it's value well, but you just aren't as likely to us it a whole lot...

Thread Information