Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>

Thread: Trip to Europe

Trip to Europe

In March my wife and I are taking a trip to London and Ireland, I want to take at least a few great pictures, we are spending most of our time in Ireland on the countryside, and we are visiting the Cliffs of Moore. I use an A100 with the kit lens, I would like to get one more lens for the trip, and I am on a budget. What will give me the most bang for my buck, I don't know if I want to get something that is super wide or something longer.
    Please help!
    Thanks.

Re: Trip to Europe

I was going to say get the 50mm f/1.8 ($70-$80 on ebay), but I see that most of your pictures will be outdoors. I'm also traveling in April, and I would take the kit lens for almost everything, and 50 1.8 for indoors.

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

What kind of budget are we talking here? Kit lens should do you just fine for most shots though, it really is quite good despite its 'kit lens' status. Also depends on your shooting style.

Cliffs of Moher?

Quote Originally Posted by Steele Productions
    In March my wife and I are taking a trip to London and Ireland, I want to take at least a few great pictures, we are spending most of our time in Ireland on the countryside, and we are visiting the Cliffs of Moore. I use an A100 with the kit lens, I would like to get one more lens for the trip, and I am on a budget. What will give me the most bang for my buck, I don't know if I want to get something that is super wide or something longer.
    Please help!
    Thanks.
    Do you mean the Cliffs of Moher? I checked out "Cliffs of Moore" on Google and it cames out with a load of pictures of Moher and the Burren.

I found that a telephoto lens was useful for this scene rather than a wide-angle (I was using a 70-150 on film at the time). The cliffs are magnificent but very tall and they go out a long way. There's nothing much to put in the foreground to make a wide-angle shot interesting. I found I was using a tele to pick out detail and compress the perspective of the line of cliffs going into the distance.

Charles
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trip to Europe-p02-006b.jpg   Trip to Europe-s04-117b.jpg  

Really, the kit will give you a wide end. It isn't super wide, but should work. As Canuck stated, the kit lens is very good. Especially if you shoot in RAW and process carefully. What do you plan on shooting?

Low light- KM 50 1.7
    moderate tele-KM 70-210 f/4 or sony 70-200 2.8
    longer tele Sigma or KM 400 APO
    Macro/portrait- Sigma 105 2.8 macro

Those are my recomendations. There are other lenses, possibly better, but these are affordable, and give the best bang for the buck.

hello,i agree with the guys up there,a telephoto lens will suit u more to this kind of shooting,there is too many rocks out there and u need to get close to some of them,especially if its in the middle of the water,so a telephoto lens like the 70-200 2.8 is a great choice for u.Let us know what u've chosen for ur trip,have fun.
    ciao
    Bassam KHATTAR
    [Rules are made to be BROKEN]

A friend of mine travels to Europe a great deal and his trip to Ireland is recorded here.

http://www.rozylowicz.com/retirement...eland2003.html

This might give you some ideas on areas to visit and sights to photograph. As I remember these pictures were all taken with a Sony F-828

Neel

We have been to Ireland five (5) times. Please rent a car and stay at the B & Bs.

BY ALL MEANS - Go to Dingle Bay !

Best photo shots: Dingle Bay, Ring of Kerry, Gallway Bay.

Have a GUINESS!

Best photo shots in Ireland: Dingle Bay, Ring of Kerry, Gallway Bay.

Rent a car in off season (Sept) and stay at B & Bs. Don't make arrangements for B & Bs until you get there. You can get great rates that time of the year plus great choices.

Good photos in Killarney and Dublin.

See show in Dublin!

Thread Information