Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>

Thread: Transfers

Question Transfers

I recently purchased a Sony A200 off of E-Bay. Love the camera and how it works. My one problem is that the transfer cable will not "plug" into the camera all the way so no connection can be made between the computer and the camera. If I wiggle the cable a bit (at the camera connection) it will connect and un-connect back and forth. Any ideas on how I can fix this. I am afraid to try to fix it with a precision screwdriver for fear of breaking the camera. Any ideas will be appreciated. :mad2: :mad2: :mad2:

Re: Transfers

I don't like to use the cable for data transfer. Unplugging the card and using a card reader is faster and, I feel, safer. The miniature USB connectors do not seem to sturdy in my opinion.

Another concern is battery drain, I don't want my file transfer interrupted, possibly corrupting some of the files.

In any case, I would order a new cable to see if that is the problem, the local camera shop may have what you need, and be able to check out the camera for a reasonable fee.

Enjoy your camera,

Phil

Thanks for the reply. Here is where the above problem arose. I had a Canon Digital Rebel 300 and the second time I put the card in I bent a pin. $195 to fix it through Canon. I do not want a repeat of this. Do you or anyone reading this know if the Sony a200 is better equipped to avoid this from happening. Thanks again Rolf

Quote Originally Posted by geefer81
    Thanks for the reply. Here is where the above problem arose. I had a Canon Digital Rebel 300 and the second time I put the card in I bent a pin. $195 to fix it through Canon. I do not want a repeat of this. Do you or anyone reading this know if the Sony a200 is better equipped to avoid this from happening. Thanks again Rolf
    Just be careful and don't force it. I've pulled and reinstalled hundreds of CF cards in my Alphas with no problem. - Terry
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

+1 on Terry's comment, I remove the CF card almost every day to get the photos to my hard drive. I always look to make sure the CF card label is facing the right way, and I have the card oriented correctly, IE "holes down". I cannot count the times that I would have done it wrong if I had not double checked.

Phil

Thanks so much to all of you. I feel a bit better about removing the card frequently. Still have that incident on the back of my mind but maybe that will keep my a bit more careful and patient. Thanks again Rolf

Phil - The A200, like all Sony alphas, has a high speed USB output. So, its not actually faster to do it in a card reader, its either slower, or the same amount of time (depending on the reader).

Before re-inserting your CF card, always check the pinhole side. If there is any damage whatsoever to the pinholes, this is the only likely cause of a bent pin in the camera. I remember watching someone break the pins in a D200, as soon as it happened and he realized he was forcing it, he took it out and sure enough - one hole had a scratch next to it.

Geefer , I would just go and buy a replacement cable rather than run the risk of breaking the conector inside the camera, that would not be good for you. i`m sure you can pick up a cable for very little money and you will be happy that you can then transfer photo`s to the PC without a problem. Dave

Thread Information