Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>

TeleConverter Lens Help

I own a Sony A-350 DSLR and am interested in a 2X AF Teleconverter lens.

Sony makes one. The price is anywhere from $400 - $450. I've seen others priced much lower; specifically one from Digital Optics.

Does anyone have suggestions on Teleconverter lenses? Any opinions on one from Digital Optics?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Re: TeleConverter Lens Help

They will stop your lens down 2 stops. Even on an F4 constant that brings it to f8, on a kit that brings it to f11. I'm speaking of the Tamron model, I'm pretty sure its the same stop-down with the Sony though. On the Tamron specifically, screw-type AF was severely inhibited, you have to pop the camera in manual focus before you mount your lens, then turn it back to AF after you turn it on, it slowed down AF severely and creates plenty of back-focus, focus hunts, etc. For a manual focus purpose, or combined with SSM lens this is fine, and its a cheap way to turn your 200 into a 400, or 300 into a 600 that still performs fair. That was at least my experience with the Tamron I used - perhaps others have had a better experience with theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Fooz
    I own a Sony A-350 DSLR and am interested in a 2X AF Teleconverter lens.

Sony makes one. The price is anywhere from $400 - $450. I've seen others priced much lower; specifically one from Digital Optics.

Does anyone have suggestions on Teleconverter lenses? Any opinions on one from Digital Optics?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
    From what I have seen on this site:

Putting a good one on a really good (expensive) lens can give some good results.

Putting a cheap one on a really good lens is a waste of the money for the good lens.

Putting any on a cheaper lens makes it worse.

This is just from observation of posted photos. I don't own one because I don't have a really good lens. If I did get one, it would be of glass of the same quality as the lens.

TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

I don't own one because I don't have a really good lens
    Uh? What?

You'd just be splitting hairs, when it comes to resolving power, particularly at center, your gear is plenty good enough to get a good 2x conversion. I tried it on the beercan myself and I was pleasantly surprised by the quality. Theres limits of course, it'll worsen any abberation, and f8 is awfully slow AF, even in many outdoor scenes.

Brings me to another question for our original poster - what lens do you have? I wouldn't reccomend a 2x converter unless it is an f4 constant or faster. The optics will pair better, and 2 stops down on a kit 5.6 puts you at f11, barely workable. So, if you have the common 18-70 and 75-300 starter gear, I think the 2x converter will be pretty disappointing for you. Particularly in lieu of the fact that your A350 has the highest pixel density in the alpha-line. Theres also little point or value to put a 2x converter on a wide angle zoom (like an 18-70 or such), 2x converters are ideally used for super-telephoto purposes (100-300mm)

The lens I would probably be using a teleconverter on is a Sony 55-200. It sound like it might be worth it to purchase another lens rather than the teleconverter. I was hoping to have to carry less equipment so if there is any hope for the teleconverter... Most of the pictures I take are vacations, wildlife and scenery and I wanted something for those long distance critter shots...

Thanks for any ideas and suggestions.

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

I would probably pass on the teleconverter in your situation. People have used them successfully on slower lenses but it is a real compromise and the hit to AF makes AF pretty much useless for any subjects that may be moving. MF would be your best bet. As mentioned, teleconverters are best suited to use on fast prime telephoto lenses.

Thread Information