Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>

tamron 28-200 3.5/5.6 question

would this be better than my A200 kit lenses ?

oops i meant 3.8/5.6

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

Re: tamron 28-200 3.5/5.6 question

Meh.. Probably not.. Check out the Dyxum lens database for a comprehensive list of lenses and user reviews.

Lightbulb Re: tamron 28-200 3.5/5.6 question

I suspect you either inherited that lens or got it cheap somewhere. It is not going to improve your photography. The best all-in-one TAMRON lens for almost any of the SONY DSLRs is the TAMRON AF 18-250mm f/3.5-.6.3 XR Di-II LD Aspherical (IF). In fact, this lens will be hard to beat, unless you start buying f/2.8 glass ... so that says a lot about its "bang for the buck." :thumbsup:

Don Schap
    If you can't afford the heavy-duty gear ... have no fear, they used to do this with a piece of charcoal and a dark tent
    There's no money in this ... it's just "love of the game."
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.

Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera, that gives you the most improvement in your photography. Refrain from "INTRO" lenses.
    My Gear List
    flickr®

All this equipment discussion is cool, but, what shutter speed / aperture are you using? Movement means you need a wide depth of field + a shutter speed of about 1/500 to "stop" the motion. I like to shoot kids at f8 or f11 which means plenty of available light or a good flash. Choosing between the two, I prefer having constant light cause as they get older they really move .

Could be you could get a couple of photo flood bulbs to put in some heavy base adjustable lamps to solve a lot of the problem.

I hope this helps.

Phil

Cool Comparisons are important

Okay, I feel this is important, so I'm going to give you a visual response curve for the aperture as you zoom this type of lens compared to that of the "kit" lens.

tamron 28-200 3.5/5.6 question-18-70-vs-18-200-aperture-step-50mm.jpg

Remember, the faster the lens jumps up, the worse or DARKER it becomes.

Look at the ~50mm point ... the 18-70mm lens is already maxed out at f/5.6 ... while the 18-200(250)mm lens is only at f/4.5

That's 2/3rds of an f-stop brighter that you can bank on.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 07-23-2009 at 10:06 PM.
    Don Schap
    If you can't afford the heavy-duty gear ... have no fear, they used to do this with a piece of charcoal and a dark tent
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.

Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera, that gives you the most improvement in your photography. Refrain from "INTRO" lenses.
    My Gear List
    flickr®

The Tamron 18-200 is a great lens according to everything I read, and, at $300 US reasonably priced. If I did not have the f4 beercan, I would probably order one.

The beercan and either the 75-300 f4.5 Minolta or the 100-300 f4.5 Minolta lenses are almost always on a couple of the camera bodies.

A word tot he wise ... do not buy the 18-200mm ... the 18-250mm is a quantum improvement over that lens. Spend the few extra bucks ... your photography is well worth it. Cheap never gets it done,
    Don Schap

My Gear List
    flickr®

Second the motion on the 18-250mm... If you are going to spend any money on a single lens solution, get this one in either the Tamron or Sony brand... Anything else is a compromise... Keep in mind this lens will most likely outlast any body you have too, glass is always a good investment...

Bingo!

Maybe that is what i should get for the sony 330. I been looking at minolta lens on ebay for days now. However, I read this is the best in world for a all in one lens with a 13x+ zoom. Would this jam pretty well for bike races you think?

Thanks,
    BBR

It is small and light. I think it would be as good as anything you could otherwise get.

Personally ... it goes everywhere on my A100, my "Grab&Go" camera. :thumbsup:

tamron 28-200 3.5/5.6 question-grab-go.jpg
    Don Schap

My Gear List
    flickr®

Is this the same lens? The XR is missing from the ad line?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...8839946&sr=8-3

thanks,
    BBR

Lightbulb Re: tamron 28-200 3.5/5.6 question

Yes ... XR is part of the design but has apparently been dropped from the description. I suppose it is not that exceptional, these days. It's still there.

Name:  opt_a06.gif
Views: 1258
Size:  57.5 KB
    Don Schap

My Gear List
    flickr®

Thread Information