Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>

tamron 28-200 3.5/5.6 question

would this be better than my A200 kit lenses ?

oops i meant 3.8/5.6

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

Re: tamron 28-200 3.5/5.6 question

Meh.. Probably not.. Check out the Dyxum lens database for a comprehensive list of lenses and user reviews.

Lightbulb Re: tamron 28-200 3.5/5.6 question

I suspect you either inherited that lens or got it cheap somewhere. It is not going to improve your photography. The best all-in-one TAMRON lens for almost any of the SONY DSLRs is the TAMRON AF 18-250mm f/3.5-.6.3 XR Di-II LD Aspherical (IF). In fact, this lens will be hard to beat, unless you start buying f/2.8 glass ... so that says a lot about its "bang for the buck." :thumbsup:

Don Schap
    If you can't afford the heavy-duty gear ... have no fear, they used to do this with a piece of charcoal and a dark tent
    There's no money in this ... it's just "love of the game."
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.

Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera, that gives you the most improvement in your photography. Refrain from "INTRO" lenses.
    My Gear List
    flickr

All this equipment discussion is cool, but, what shutter speed / aperture are you using? Movement means you need a wide depth of field + a shutter speed of about 1/500 to "stop" the motion. I like to shoot kids at f8 or f11 which means plenty of available light or a good flash. Choosing between the two, I prefer having constant light cause as they get older they really move .

Could be you could get a couple of photo flood bulbs to put in some heavy base adjustable lamps to solve a lot of the problem.

I hope this helps.

Phil

Cool Comparisons are important

Okay, I feel this is important, so I'm going to give you a visual response curve for the aperture as you zoom this type of lens compared to that of the "kit" lens.

tamron 28-200 3.5/5.6 question-18-70-vs-18-200-aperture-step-50mm.jpg

Remember, the faster the lens jumps up, the worse or DARKER it becomes.

Look at the ~50mm point ... the 18-70mm lens is already maxed out at f/5.6 ... while the 18-200(250)mm lens is only at f/4.5

That's 2/3rds of an f-stop brighter that you can bank on.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 07-23-2009 at 10:06 PM.
    Don Schap
    If you can't afford the heavy-duty gear ... have no fear, they used to do this with a piece of charcoal and a dark tent
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.

Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera, that gives you the most improvement in your photography. Refrain from "INTRO" lenses.
    My Gear List
    flickr

The Tamron 18-200 is a great lens according to everything I read, and, at $300 US reasonably priced. If I did not have the f4 beercan, I would probably order one.

The beercan and either the 75-300 f4.5 Minolta or the 100-300 f4.5 Minolta lenses are almost always on a couple of the camera bodies.

A word tot he wise ... do not buy the 18-200mm ... the 18-250mm is a quantum improvement over that lens. Spend the few extra bucks ... your photography is well worth it. Cheap never gets it done,
    Don Schap

My Gear List
    flickr

Second the motion on the 18-250mm... If you are going to spend any money on a single lens solution, get this one in either the Tamron or Sony brand... Anything else is a compromise... Keep in mind this lens will most likely outlast any body you have too, glass is always a good investment...

Bingo!

Maybe that is what i should get for the sony 330. I been looking at minolta lens on ebay for days now. However, I read this is the best in world for a all in one lens with a 13x+ zoom. Would this jam pretty well for bike races you think?

Thanks,
    BBR

It is small and light. I think it would be as good as anything you could otherwise get.

Personally ... it goes everywhere on my A100, my "Grab&Go" camera. :thumbsup:

tamron 28-200 3.5/5.6 question-grab-go.jpg
    Don Schap

My Gear List
    flickr

Is this the same lens? The XR is missing from the ad line?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...8839946&sr=8-3

thanks,
    BBR

Lightbulb Re: tamron 28-200 3.5/5.6 question

Yes ... XR is part of the design but has apparently been dropped from the description. I suppose it is not that exceptional, these days. It's still there.

Name:  opt_a06.gif
Views: 1215
Size:  57.5 KB
    Don Schap

My Gear List
    flickr

Thread Information