Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>

Taking Pictures on Computer Using Sony Cybershot DSC-W180

I am a chemistry student doing a research project that involves taking pictures of water droplets. I have a Sony Cybershot DSC-W180 digital camera. Taking the pictures is not a problem. I was just wondering if anyone knows of software that could be used to control this camera from the computer. Really all I need is a way to take the picture from the computer (although controlling the zoom would be great). Currently I have to take the pictures and then upload them all to my computer. It would be much more convenient to be able to just take the pictures from the computer. I am NOT interested in buying a new camera. If you are unsure of any software that will allow this, do you know of a way that I can hook the camera up to my computer monitor so that I can see what my camera is seeing on my monitor. This way I could just do screen captures. Any help you could give me would be appreciated.

Re: Taking Pictures on Computer Using Sony Cybershot DSC-W180

I don't know of software that will allow you to use a computer to control a compact camera like your W180. That's not the kind of photography that the W180 was designed for. Generally this is called "tethered" operation. Try doing a Google search for "tethered Sony W180" and see if you get any useful results. If you do, please let us know what you discover. If there is a software solution out there, I'd like to know about it
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thread Information