Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>

takeing large group shot with dslr a100

HI, I have a question. I have the MINOLTA MaxxuM 35-70mm f/4 MACRO and the orig lens that came with the camer the 18mm - 70mm lens.

What lens is the best for large group shots for indoor. If there is a nother lens that i should look into let me know. I need to take this picture on the 25th of March.

Also is the 35 70mm lens good for portrait shots as well!!!

Thanks for all the help!!

Marcie

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

Re: takeing large group shot with dslr a100

Hi Marcie,

How large exactly is this group going to be? Also indoors you'll probably need to go as wide as you can get, so I'd say use the 18-70. How are you planning to light the shot?

I've never owned or used the 35-70 f/4 but it should do fine for portraits. I'd try to stick to the longer end, say 50-70mm.

Hi there are about 60 kids. The gym is well lighted and I have 2 large light lamps as well as my external flash.

I have the super wide lens for the 18mm-70mm lens should I use that as well.

I have taken some portrait shots of my daughter with the 35mm-70mm lens Ill stick with that!!!

this is the picture I took of her using that lens!!

Now if i can remember what settings i used to take that pics that would help LOL!!!!

Marcie

http://www.odz-n-enz.net/pircbb/cait...erportrait.jpg

I'm not sure what you mean about the super wide lens for th 18-70 but I'm guessing it's an accessory lens that screws onto it? While it wouldn't hurt to grab a shot or two with the accessory lens just for kicks, I wouldn't use it for the final product.

For the group shot, the 18-70 by itself should work fine in a gymnasium. It sounds like you'll have plenty of light too. It would probably help to have a good ladder on hand so you can get above them and get more faces into the picture or to get yourself up to their height if you put em on the bleachers or something.

For the portraits, again I'd stick with the 35-70.

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck935
    I'm not sure what you mean about the super wide lens for th 18-70 but I'm guessing it's an accessory lens that screws onto it? While it wouldn't hurt to grab a shot or two with the accessory lens just for kicks, I wouldn't use it for the final product.

For the group shot, the 18-70 by itself should work fine in a gymnasium. It sounds like you'll have plenty of light too. It would probably help to have a good ladder on hand so you can get above them and get more faces into the picture or to get yourself up to their height if you put em on the bleachers or something.

For the portraits, again I'd stick with the 35-70.
    Thanks for your help. Yes the super wide lens is an accessories. I dont have much time to play with the accessories so i wont use it. There is no bleacher for the kids to sit the front row will sit on the floor the middle row should be on their knees or chair and the back row they all will be standing. I will try to get on a chair or somthing to get a good shot.

and yep Ill stick with my 35 - 70mm lens as i have been using it for the portrait in the past.

Oh one more qustion I have the lens 28-200mm f3.5 - 6.3 What is that lens good for!!! Thankyou for helping me out!!!

Marcie

Hi again,

The 28-200 is what I'd call a travel lens. If you want to carry only one lens that will do it all this is it. Though the wide end is equivalent to 42mm with the alpha. They have 18-200's out there for the smaller sensors though.

I wouldn't say it's the best at any one thing though. It's a jack of all trades, but master of none.

Again, I do not own and I have never used this lens. I'm sure there's someone out there that can give you a better idea of its capabilities.

Hi Again Thanks for all your help!!! since i have gotten that lens i have not used it!! It was given to me and I was not thrilled on the outcome of that lens.

Ok I think im all set for my portrait and group pictures.

If there are any tijps i need please tell me!!

Marcie

Canuck already solved your issues with lenses. I would recommend the kit lens for the group picture.

Some tips that I use:
    For portraits, if the person is wearing dark colors, I change the exposure to Spot metering. Then, if the circle in the camera (in the middle of the viewer) is bigger than the face, I get really close, press the shutter half way, and lock the exposure with the AEL button (I want only face in the circle, I don't want to confuse the metering with dark colors). With AEL pressed I walk wherever I want to take the picture from, then I focus and shoot.

If you are concerned with the light for the group picture, don't be scared of the high ISO. Try with 800, and 1600. If your prints are going to be 4x6 or 5x7 the noise of 1600 iso will be unnoticeable. I would take the group picture with ISO 200, then 800, then 1600 and pick the best one.

As for more lenses, I'm very happy with the 50mm f/1.7, it's cheap (about $80 on ebay), I think that it would be great for portraits, and works very good in low light. You can see the only picture that I have posted (I guess it's in my gallery), was handheld@night under a street light.

Quote Originally Posted by pisco
    Canuck already solved your issues with lenses. I would recommend the kit lens for the group picture.

Some tips that I use:
    For portraits, if the person is wearing dark colors, I change the exposure to Spot metering. Then, if the circle in the camera (in the middle of the viewer) is bigger than the face, I get really close, press the shutter half way, and lock the exposure with the AEL button (I want only face in the circle, I don't want to confuse the metering with dark colors). With AEL pressed I walk wherever I want to take the picture from, then I focus and shoot.

If you are concerned with the light for the group picture, don't be scared of the high ISO. Try with 800, and 1600. If your prints are going to be 4x6 or 5x7 the noise of 1600 iso will be unnoticeable. I would take the group picture with ISO 200, then 800, then 1600 and pick the best one.

As for more lenses, I'm very happy with the 50mm f/1.7, it's cheap (about $80 on ebay), I think that it would be great for portraits, and works very good in low light. You can see the only picture that I have posted (I guess it's in my gallery), was handheld@night under a street light.
    Hi Thanks for the tip!!! The colors they are wearing is the link i posted above with a dark background they chose!!! So I think i will do the spot metering by the face so it wont get too confusing!!! I will try to the 3 dif ISO for the group pctures!!!

I will look into the lenses too!!!! If I find one i hope i can get it by next week LOL!!!

Thanks for the help!!!

Marcie

Thread Information