Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>

stop smoking, get a new lens...

Long story short - my work has provided me with a 'stop smoking incentive', $1000. Its something I want to do anyway, and this has finally enabled me to be more immediately committed to it. No more dawdling and putting it off and excusing myself till next year.

I'm going to be putting this stop smoking money towards a great strong to super telephoto lens, the carrot to the ox if the ox was a smoker. Created a short list but open to all options. Realizing of course the merit of each of these lens, trying to balance the features.

Tamron 200-500 f/5-6.3
    Sony 70-300 f/4-5.6 SSM G
    Minolta 100-400mm f/4.5-6.7

With those I might also add a third bounce flash (Minolta 5600HSD/F56AM), with another light stand and diffuser (or softbox). Or - I could get just a lens:

Minolta 80-200 f/2.8 HS APO.
    Or, put the budget to the max with the 70-400 G SSM.

*edit - scratch the 70-200 f/2.8's. I can't really justify it, not for just one stop and better CA control. I think my beercan will do me fine for that range for a while to come, not really yearning for the speedy telephoto as much as I am the strong telephoto. I think my inclination is towards the 100-400mm APO....
    Last edited by Anbesol; 10-23-2009 at 01:20 AM.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Re: stop smoking, get a new lens...

Wishing you nothing but success......I've been trying for years. Get some success for a while and then......:-(
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

I've been smoking 10 years, I do imagine the longer you've been a smoker the harder it would be. Peculiar then how I am able to justify to myself always putting it off. Frog you should tell your employer about the stop smoking incentive plan, see if they could sponsor it with $1k, they say it improves productivity ;).

Do they pay you a $1000 for not becoming a smoker? Where do I sign up?
    Don Schap
    If you can't afford the heavy-duty gear ... have no fear, they used to do this with a piece of charcoal and a dark tent
    There's no money in this ... it's just "love of the game."
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.

Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera, that gives you the most improvement in your photography. Refrain from "INTRO" lenses.
    My Gear List
    flickr®

Pretty cool. Now just get the US Government to do the same, We would all benefit, not just us smokers.

Phil

Oh, and about lenses. My wife says my screenname should be 'lensjunky'. I would go for the 500mm. I have a manual focus 500mm with the adapter for KM/Sony. I love using the lens, but my eyes have problems with focus. So I would sure like to have a good AF 500mm.

Phil

Name:  off topic.gif
Views: 380
Size:  1.6 KB

Hey, "Lensjunky" ... where is your 'gear list'?

I know the feeling ...
    Don Schap
    If you can't afford the heavy-duty gear ... have no fear, they used to do this with a piece of charcoal and a dark tent
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.

Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera, that gives you the most improvement in your photography. Refrain from "INTRO" lenses.
    My Gear List
    flickr®

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap
    Do they pay you a $1000 for not becoming a smoker? Where do I sign up?
    In a tricky situation, our clients are often snobby and very judgmental people who are offended because I choose to smoke cigarettes. Its been a thing I've had to cover up, and to often hide on the job when I do it. Not from my colleagues, but from anybody who feels like whining because their righteous ass smells some smoke.

So, win-win, they don't have to smell my smoke, I get a $1000.

Anyway - I think the 100-400mm APO is growing on me the most, its the smallest and lightest of any of them, all these other super telephotos are monstrous, and the 100-400 is just about identical to the beercan in size and weight.

Ever considered Sigma 50-500 or 150 - 500?

You almost need another person to hoist those lenses. There just too much glass to comfortably manage.

Consider:

The 150-500mm weighs 67.4 oz.

&

the 50-500 (BIGMA) weighs 64.9 oz.

Four pounds plus the camera's weight (at least a pound or more) is substantial weight on your wrists and many have bailed, selling the lens for something weighing substantially less. You need to carefully weigh these facts before committing all that cash for what could be a rather miserable experience. Most people have to rely on a substantial tripod at this weight level.
    Don Schap

My Gear List
    flickr®

It was just a thought and Oh yes indeed - they are heavy - but are nevertheless pretty popular over here amongst the wild life folk - being versatile and providing very good results. I use the BIGMA personally and find little difficulty with the weight (but then I am a large lad) using it hand held at full extension and hardly ever a tripod (the latter being too cumbersome to carry if that makes any sense!!!). Also the range of long lenses that we have to choose from is limited (particularly for Sony) with virtually no Minolta available any more. I have the 70 - 300 that I use when weight is a REAL issue but this is seldom.

Yes Don that is specifically why the 100-400mm APO is thus far winning to me. In fact, the Tamron 200-500 is losing ground to me due to its monstrous size.

Anybody know of any MTF charts done for the 100-400 APO?

Talking the lens...

You guys really need to locate one of the older Tokina AT-X 840 AF 80~400mm f/4.5-5.6 full frame lens. It only weighs 33 ounces :thumbsup: and offers a tremendous focal range. Only half the weight, excellent IQ and nearly the same range. It just a little heavier and longer than the average AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6, better with a better build quality to it and snappier focal response.

Takes a pretty darn good image, too.

This is a reduced a850 shot, taken today, with the AT-X 840 "Nature lens" mounted.

a850 w/ Tokina AT-X 840
    @ 80mm - f/7.1 - 1/60 sec - ISO-200 - CP filter - CWA meter - Spot focus - Creative Style: Autumn Leaves - Daylight - M - Tripod - Elevated from road - 1:40PM Oct 25, 09

You can often find this lens for $300-400 on Ebay, and man ... IT IS WORTH EVERY PENNY. One quick lens change and you are hunting the small stuff, right now, handheld and with confidence.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 10-25-2009 at 02:37 PM.
    Don Schap

My Gear List
    flickr®

Don - was any processing done on this photo? Could you show me some 100% crops, and show me CA control? Crop up at top left at 100% if you could.

Is this something that could compare with Minolta APO and Sony G glass?

What are you planning to run this against. This lens is far better with its response to purple fringing and CA than all but the best 70-300mm f/4-5.6 class lenses. It is a film lens, not "digital", so the non-reflective rear element coatings are not on it.

100 percent crop without any processing

Don Schap

My Gear List
    flickr®

Thread Information