Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>

Angry SONY Style stores ... an experience not to be shared

I have one major complaint that I have been living with, concerning SONY DSLRs (regardless of the model), because it is not the camera that is the problem. It is the god-awful support! There just isn’t any to speak of.

For example:

You go into a SONY Style store and ask for the camera counter. They direct you back to a glass display containing the cameras and a few (meager) selection of their lower end lenses. When you get back there, you expect to find a reasonably informed sales person that knows something about what they are selling.

That is mistake #1 :mad2: , because in the entire store, manager included, there is not one person that can tell the difference between what an APS-C and FF can do, other than what is written on the small card in the card holder. Folks, I can read, too. There is no “expert” for the camera department, not even its manager. Most of them have not even seen a Carl Zeiss lens, other than the CZ 16-80mmm f/3.5-4.5 kit lens.

Going further, you would hope to be able to properly demonstrate the A900 to yourself. Mistake #2! :mad2: The only lenses the SONY Style stores have that are “full frame” in design are a couple of primes, the 50mm f/1.4 and the 100mm f/2.8 MACRO. No serious zoom lens. Everything else is “DT”. I’m sorry, but if I am going to plunk down $2500 for a new camera body, you had better have a CZ 24-70mm f/2.8 and/or a 70-200mm f/2.8 G SSM lens to make it sing. It is pointless to try and examine that camera with anything less to understand its capability.

So, we have:
    1. effectively useless support staff (I mean, this is THEIR store, not Best Buy or some such place) and
    2. a severe lack of available equipment (lenses, flashes, whatnot) for the cameras.

I’m just pointing out a couple issues that are, in my opinion, “sales killers” and a real disappointment to people who have already purchased their new SONY DSLR and are now looking to add to their lens bag. Plus, other SONY-mount manufacturers (TAMRON & SIGMA) are not even carried in the SONY Style stores, so those sales and demonstrations are lost, completely.

Man … the SONY DSLR marketing plan is a complete failure, in my estimation, and its director/VP should be fired for malfeasance and a lack of vision. It truly needs to change, before everyone finds out and just blows SONY off as a “non-player.” Invest in your future, SONY. I mean it. Just advice that really needs some attention from a concerned fan. :thumbsup:
    Don Schap
    If you can't afford the heavy-duty gear ... have no fear, they used to do this with a piece of charcoal and a dark tent
    There's no money in this ... it's just "love of the game."
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.

Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera, that gives you the most improvement in your photography. Refrain from "INTRO" lenses.
    My Gear List
    flickr®

Re: SONY Style stores ... an experience not to be shared

I'm with ya Don. They really should have at least a basic understanding of their gear, and a good, if not full selection of their own lenses. I don't expect them to carry any Sigma or Tamron lenses, but they should be aware they exist and be able to talk about them in a general way if asked.

For me, I never go to a Sony Style store when I'm looking for DSLR info, my local camera shop usually has more of a clue, even if they aren't big Sony fans...

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NoKnees
    For me, I never go to a Sony Style store when I'm looking for DSLR info, my local camera shop usually has more of a clue, even if they aren't big Sony fans...
    Ding ding ding. I have never walked into a Sonystyle store. If I'm gonna give up my money locally then it's going to one of the local camera shops. I do agree that Sony's own store should carry a more complete selection and that the staff be well versed on them. That's just a shame that anyone walking into the store isn't getting the kind of service and selection that they should.

Here's my trip, today, to the "packed" DSLR section. Yeah, right!

That's it ... about a five lens improvement over Best Buy. Man ... I want to go back there, again! NOT!

The manufacturer's store ... and nothing to really look at, once you buy your initial camera. After that, you are effectively and really on your own, pal.
    Don Schap
    If you can't afford the heavy-duty gear ... have no fear, they used to do this with a piece of charcoal and a dark tent
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.

Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera, that gives you the most improvement in your photography. Refrain from "INTRO" lenses.
    My Gear List
    flickr®

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

Wow. My local Fry's Electronics store has a more impressive Sony display/collection than that, including the aforementioned FF Zeiss lenses. I'll have to visit my local Sony Style and see if it's any different from yours.

Ive been in a local sony style store and I asked a few questions and its absolutely true the only thing they know is from that little card. Besides everything in that store is more expensive.

Ya frys electronics has a awesome selection. I go to the one in the valley in cali but recently they let the camera department slip abit by hiring some useless employee's. One time I asked a employee "do you sell the a700's battery grip (he had no clue what a grip was)? " He said "let me ask this guy" he asked another employee but began talking completely off topic about some girl when I was still standing there confused.
    Than he finally asked the other guy do you have the a700's battery grip "no, hey man you have that camera?, thats a hella expensive camera you got there".

At that point I was seriously considering applying for a job in the camera department in that store.... Should be no competition
    Last edited by LightBright; 07-22-2009 at 01:24 AM.
    -
    Please do not take my photo's. Thank you
    www.SammySoliman.Smugmug.com

Standing and selling retail can be one of the hardest jobs around. People will argue a point (even if they are completely wrong) and you have to smile, try to correct them and then sell them the right product, with their "new" understanding and appreciation. Now, if given an area where you can sit down and do this, I find, is far more doable, but most stores will not consider an information booth ... it doesn't make enough for the floor space. Well, even the SONY style store has a sales counter, but no chair. Let them sit and follow current trends in photography ... when they are not busy. Keep the knowledge flow ongoing.

Apparently. they want people moving around, pitching product and that's fine for the vacuous, under 30-bunch, of which they seem to have a lot of. When you tip the scale, become knowledgeable ... your legs usually are not as durable.

Anyway, that's why most people quit these jobs, because they just get exhausted standing around for 8+ hours. I say cut them some slack and invest in your employee's health, too..
    Last edited by DonSchap; 07-22-2009 at 07:08 AM.
    Don Schap

My Gear List
    flickr®

Thread Information