Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>

Smile Sony DSC-H7: Am I in need of a macro lens?

I am an avid aquarist and I keep reef aquariums. I currently use the H7 to photograph my tanks all the time, nearly always in the camera's macro mode. I am mostly happy with functionality of the feature, however when I am shooting while zoomed in on a specimen, the focus is utterly terrible making things indistinguishable.

Should I purchase a macro lens for this camera? If so, what macro lens should I purchase?

Thanks!

Re: Sony DSC-H7: Am I in need of a macro lens?

With many macros, autofocus fails to do the job. First thing you can do is set your focus type to spot focus, this way the camera will always try to focus on the center, rather than picking a random position of the 7 or so points. place the subject in the center of the frame and the autofocus should take care of you. If that doesn't work, you may need to try manual focus, this isn't very easy with a p&s like the H7, but its possible. You can't get a 'macro lens' for that camera, you may be able to get a macro adapter, but all that will do will get you closer, it won't help any focus problems and will actually make focus more difficult.

Thread Information