Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>

Sony Cybershot file error HELP!!

I have a Sony Cybershot 7.2 mega pixels. I bought this back in the summer. We do forecloseure cleanouts all over, and travel extensively. We have to take before and after pictures of our work. Just the other day, I was downloading my pics and I noticed when I looked throught them, I got the file error on some of my pics. I cannot afford to do a job 300 miles from home, and get back and have lost some of my pics. They are crucial to us getting paid. I have to have exact pics....the house number, street sign...etc.

What can I do to fix this. I bought the camera and the 2GB Memory Stick Pro Duo that the camera requires at Circuit City. I cant put my hands on my instruction booklet at this time. Not sure where I laid it down. I will find it, I'm sure, but we go out on another job on Tuesday....I need this fixed!

I just downloaded over 400 pics to my company, but when I went back to search for a certain pic, it was gone, and the file error was in its place. Thank GOD I was able to send them all before that error happened.

HELP! I have been so pleased with this camera until now. Now I am really gun shy of it. I need a camera that will NOT let me down.

Thank you if anyone can help me

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Re: Sony Cybershot file error HELP!!

If it's that important, buy more than one memory stick, and take each photo more than once on each stick. If it's really important get two cameras and duplicate everything.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

How have you been treating your memory stick? You should regularly format the memory stick with the camera instead of just deleting photo's or formatting with your computer. Also, don't let the batteries run down so low that you risk the camera losing power while it's writing to the card or try to remove the card while the camera is still on.

I format my memory cards in camera before every shoot (given I've saved the images to my PC already, of course), and I've not had any problems or errors in years.

Good points above... Most professionals that rely on their photos bring along some sort of backup storage device that they can dump their photos to after every shoot. If your job depends on it, spend the money for something like this. You can get basic devices between $100 and $200, and more robust ones for more... Some people bring a laptop computer with them just for this purpose. You plug your card in, it copies it to a it's own hard drive, verifying the copy, and you are covered. These devices store from 20gb to 500gb, so you'll be more than covered for a single trip.

As for the specific issues you are having, could be a few things. As noted above, never use your camera to the point of batter failure/forced shut down. That "one last photo" being written to your card without enough power can damage the directory and corrupt the rest of your photos. Always leave yourself plenty of power...

Always reformat your memory card in the camera after you have downloaded the photos to your computer and confirmed that everything has been copied okay. Do not just delete photos.

If you have trouble getting photos off your memory card, there are software packages out there designed to help with this. Sandisk usually gives some sort of free software with their memory cards. There are some freeware downloadable ones, as well as some inexpensive file recovery packages out there. As long as you don't reformat or delete the photos once you run into trouble, you can usually recover most if not all that was on the card. Once recovered, reformat that card in the camera and you should be fine...

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

I don't use a laptop, I have pocket sized hard disk with card reader built in.
    In fact I use two backup devices.
    Sanho Hyperdrive
    Vosonic VP2160
    Both in the right pocket of my coat-of-many-pockets.

And a serious habit
    New card from the left pocket into camera, format it immediately.
    Remove previous used card from Hyperdrive.
    Used card into the Hyperdrive, press copy (first backup)
    Card from the VP2160 into the right pocket.
    Previous used card into the VP2160, switch on, press copy (second backup)

So I make sure:
    1) each new card is formatted in camera immediately.
    2) each used card goes into the first backup device
    3) each card from backup 1 goes into backup 2
    4) each card from backup 2 goes into the pocket
    It means that so far I have never lost a card, even if one backup fails, the other one will catch it.
    Of course it's a pain, but it's worth it.

I have enough cards to shoot almost continually for a week
    But backups don't hurt !
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Thanks for all the help. I have been reformatting before each shoot. So far so good. I also have been taking double shots just in case...that is frustrating when downloading hundreds of pics....it means I have to 'view' each one.

I never take the memory stick out, so it is treated rather nicely. LOL I probably will purchase an extra one though.

I do let the battery run completely out and then change them, so that is something I will stop doing. And I usually just 'delete' pics.

Thanks again!

Thread Information