Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>
    Kathy

Sony Cybershot DSCF717

Our office has a Sony Cybershot DSCF717 we have recently had it repaired as it wasn't taking any pictures. A colleague has taken it out recently to take some pictures for some reports they were doing. The first day's pictures came out ok but the second day's pictures seemed to be brighter till eventually they were so bright there is no colour in the picture.

Can anyone give me an explanation if the camera has developed a fault again we need to know so we don't waste time and money taking out. We have since taken pictures in the office with the camera and it seems to be ok.

Re: Sony Cybershot DSCF717

Without seeing the photos and knowing the settings it's hard to judge. It's possible that the photographer had the camera on manual and the conditions got brighter and brighter. That would account for the results. But unless you can tell us more, it's hard to know for sure. Can you post three photos from the bad day? And can you tell us what settings the camera was using? That would help a lot. Since you've tested and it seemed to work ok, my hopeful guess is that it was user error.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Kathy

I've attached the pics in the hope that you can shed some light on the problem.Sony Cybershot DSCF717-dsc00127.jpg

Sony Cybershot DSCF717-dsc00129.jpg

Sony Cybershot DSCF717-dsc00142.jpg

Sony Cybershot DSCF717-dsc00145.jpg

Poorman with Nikon D80 bordersandflags's Avatar

That is quite odd. Have you checked the exposure setting (i.e. +2 EV)? Also, is it in manual mode, for the shutter speed might have been too fast. Other than that, I cannot think of any possible reason for that happening unless the camera has once again malfunctioned. Hope this helps.

-Josh

Kathy

I've checked the camera and automatic setting was on. I don't know where to look for the exposure. Also on the bulletin boards someone was mentioning the CCD was damaged in the Sony cameras. Do you know what the CCD is?

The image info is in something called the EXIF data, which is attached to the original file. It's viewable with the right software. It looks like the EXIF data was removed from these files when they were edited - probably when they were resized? If you can upload a couple of the originals to the gallery (full-res is allowed there), I could look at the EXIF data and see if I can see a problem. For looking at these images, it looks like there might be a metering problem. But I'm still not sure.

Has anyone taken the camera out and tested it in similar conditions? I'm still betting it's user error. How much experience did this photographer have with the camera?
    Photo-John

I have a similar problem with my F717, although mine "just appeared" out of thin air.

My images are washed out, like there was a piece of cotton gauze placed over the lens, like a filter. At first I thought the white balance was off, but no amount of adjusting everything changes the image. I have had this camera for several years, taken thousands of images with it, and have been very pleased.

My question is this: WHO to contact for repair service? The Sony site is typical of today's "helpful" web sites; IOW, no help at all. I have no intention of signing up for an "online repair registration" with my CC #. I want a LIVE PERSON that I can call on the telephone to discuss this problem with; one who speaks ENGLISH.

Sorry for my attitude, but this is the second Sony product I've had that went Tango Uniform well before it should have; and if I must pay $211+tax for a "blanket repair" of my F717, as the web site suggests, I'll just throw it away, buy another brand, and never buy another Sony product.

Again, sorry for my petulance here, but I missed some incredible pics last night and today because of this.

Does anyone know of a repair facility that is reasonable and honest????

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972
    Again, sorry for my petulance here, but I missed some incredible pics last night and today because of this.

Does anyone know of a repair facility that is reasonable and honest????
    No problem with the attitude. Under the circumstances, it seems reasonable to me.

You should be able to take the camera in to any authorized Sony dealer and have them handle the service through Sony. I don't know if I'd take it to any non-Sony repair company. And it's very likely you'll find that it does cost more to repair it than you think it's worth. It sounds to me like the sensor has failed and I doubt it's going to be cheap to repair. But it can't hurt to get an opinion from Sony. At least I don't think it can.

Good luck and please let us know how you end up dealing with it and what the outcome is.
    Photo-John

I'd LIKE to get a quote from Sony. But if I'm reading their web site correctly, they just want you to send the camera in with $211 and they'll fix whatever is wrong.

This camera is one of many on the list involved with that class-action lawsuit regarding failed sensors on Sony still and video cams. They had a "grace period" where they would fix it for free; but ONLY if it failed first. I think that time period has passed. I'm going to try to speak with someone about this as well, but I will be very surprised if I get any relief.

Still, as you say, its at least worth a try.

I saw, on another camera forum some time back, a link to a fellow in Texas who works on these cameras. I was hoing someone here could provide it.

http://esupport.sony.com/perl/news-i...18&mdl=DSCF717

The repair period lasts until October 2, 2007, so if that's what's wong with the camera, you're still covered.

Thread Information