Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>

Question Sony CyberShot DSC-S85~Is It The Camera or Is It Just Me?

I have a Sony CyberShot DSC-S85 digital camera that I bought new in 2003. Lately, all of the pics that I take outside look as though they were taken in a snow storm. What I mean is that they are very white in appearance. I have looked at all the menu setting and everything is as I believe it should be and has been in the past. And all settings are on auto. Yet, the pics look awful. I notice as I focus, the pic looks normal on the LCD but right before I click the shutter, it turns very white-looking on the LCD and the pic looks the same way. I have tried all the different flash settings and they make no difference. This camera used to take beautiful pics outdoors. Any idea what is wrong here?
    I did buy a new bettery for it on eBay (supposedly genuine Sony) and the other problem with it is that the LCD always displays "For InfoLithium Battery Only" and usually cuts the camera off. I have to try it several times before it will operate. This is very aggravating. Is my camera on its last legs or what???

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Re: Sony CyberShot DSC-S85~Is It The Camera or Is It Just Me?

Quote Originally Posted by dooscoop32
    I did buy a new bettery for it on eBay (supposedly genuine Sony) and the other problem with it is that the LCD always displays "For InfoLithium Battery Only" and usually cuts the camera off.
    That isn't a Sony battery then.
    I found the same thing with my Mavica, the early FD75 would work with non-Sony batteries, the later model would not.

Your outdoor picture problem, I suspect is the camera. Too much light's getting in through the lens and it's over-exposed. I think it may be the diaphragm not closing to the right size, and not cutting down the light properly - but the camera doesn't know it's broken so it uses too slow a shutter speed.

I think that needs to go back to a Sony repair place.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Thread Information