Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>

Question Sony Cybershot DSC-HX1 9.1 MP (20x Zoom)

Anyone familiar with this new model?

I'm wondering if this camera has a fast enough shutter

speed to freeze the action of a hummingbird's wings??

*** Note: (a hummer's wings flap approx. 60 - 70 times per second)

The sales people @ Best Buy did not know!

Re: Sony Cybershot DSC-HX1 9.1 MP (20x Zoom)

I got a little time, so I will vent some stuff...

This is a camera I took a serious look at, but passed. The panorama mode seems interesting, and how it stitches photos together to reduce noise. Also the new 20x zoom over the H9 15x. The reason I didn't bite is the H9 had a Carl Zeiss lens, and this one doesn't. Also I read reviews the image quality was not really that great either. Its a point and shoot, and while I loved the H9 cause the Zeiss lens produced some remarkable photos, I don't think this one will, even at 9 megapixels. The sensor probably too small and the lens not so great. The novelty of shooting 10fps, probably doesn't produce great photos at that speed. For crying out loud, the Nikon D3 I think only can do 9fps. There seems to be a lot of gimmicks with this camera. I decided to try a low end DSLR myself. My H9 will always be a gem for me as a point and shoot camera, and a good backup. What Sony needs to do, or anyone for that matter, come up with first class point and shoot camera that rocks, perhaps like the Olympus E3, although I read its RAW photos sucked. That's another point about the HX1, it doesn't shoot RAW, and that's a non-starter for 9 megapixels. Sony need to make a supercharged H9 that shoots RAW and revise the Carl Zeiss to 20x or greater. Its an optical challenge for sure, but the H9 was awesome. It has some great sweet spots on that lens. I love a stellar hybrid point and shoot like the H9 which has autozoom with autofocus, but add RAW and higher Megapixels to the list. I much rather use a lighter hybrid point and shoot action autozoom camera then haul those clucky DSLR camera around all day, add to that my vest pockets sagging with 3 or 4 lens to boot. I want freedom to move quickly and shoot, with the associated fatigue. I think camera makes want to meet those demands, but not yet. I believe hybrid point and shoot bridge cameras can be hot tickets in the future. Smaller, lighter, smarter and more powerful!

BBR

To answer the OP's question, yes, the HX1 supports shutter speeds fast enough to give the appearance of freezing their wings assuming you have good light.. It handles up to a 1/4000 shutter speed in most modes... This is probably all you will need/want, but...

Take a quick read of the following article to get the real scoop on what's actually needed to get what you are asking... http://www.dyesscreek.com/miscellane...s/howto_1.html

As for other attributes of this camera, it has a lot of cool features, but it's still not a great higher ISO camera... Great in good light, not so great in lower light... There are a lot of independent reviews out there that cover the good and bad of it... Other than low light, it seems pretty solid..

The olympus E3 is not a point and shoot hybrid, its a DSLR. And so far, sony actually HAS made the best point and shoot/DSLR hybrid ever, and its not the H9, its the R1, though manufactured some 4-5 years ago, its still the best point and shoot/dslr hybrid ever made. I would have recommended it for you, but its zoom ends at like 125mm equiv, so a 5x equivalent range.

The E3 seems like somewhat lighter camera, but that depends on which lens you attach. I know its dslr, but when I see cameras like that, it interests me. It has 10x zoom I believe with the default lens, so my friend likes it, as he can move around and shoot action sports pretty well with it. Since the quality of the images are quite good, he only shoots jpg. The H9 is too small, but its somewhat of a bridge camera. If it shot raw, that would be great as its 15x zoom at 465mm makes nice photos at both the wide angle and telephoto end. It's 465mm equivalent doesn't limit the widest F-stop.

If interested, a great review is here...
    http://www.aakatz.com/whitepaper/whi.../appendix2.htm

Well, there is an 18-250 that you can attach to the A330, which is a 13.8x zoom. Problem is, superzooms sacrifice quality and speed for convenience and range. I've found most photographers, particularly sticklers for quality - prefer shorter range to boost quality and speed, hence - I go with a 28-75 f/2.8 as my primary lens. 18-250 *of course* has more range, but it also isn't remotely close to the quality and speed of my 28-75.

The E3 behaves slightly more like a point and shoot than your A330 does, because of its 4/3rds format, which is a 2x crop of a full frame instead of a 1.5x or actual full frame. As such depth of field, magnification and field of view is closer to point and shoot. But, the E3 is still much closer to behaving like a true DSLR than a point and shoot. As far as size/weight and lens combinations though - the A330 offers very similar options to the E3.
    It's 465mm equivalent doesn't limit the widest F-stop
    That depends entirely on the lens, not the camera. You can get a 450mm equiv on an A330 at f/2.8, or even a 630mm at f/4, but - thats a pretty penny ($6k for 300mm f/2.8, plus 1.4x tc). Otherwise, you could get a 70-200mm f/2.8 and a 1.4x tc, then have a 420mm equivalent at f/4, or, you could make the beercan a 430mm equivalent at f/5.6.

If you've only been in the SLR world for a short time, give it a shot. Its a lot different than point and shoot, particularly in regards to practicality. If you acclimate to the differences, I think you'll find the end result in your images worth the investment.

Still, I reitterate, sony still has the title for best point and shoot/SLR hybrid to date with their 4 year old R1 - Wiki

Wow!!

Nice on the R1 !!

Did it shoot raw?

Thanks!

Didn't say on Wiki, but it does shoot raw. There are a few for sale at Ebay. Seems pretty cool, but it only has 5x. Also I am assuming this camera doesn't have IS and improved AF features. It is older after all. For the time it was made, pretty nice!

BTW,

Since we are at it...

"Well, there is an 18-250 that you can attach to the A330, which is a 13.8x zoom. Problem is, superzooms sacrifice quality and speed for convenience and range. I've found most photographers, particularly sticklers for quality - prefer shorter range to boost quality and speed, hence - I go with a 28-75 f/2.8 as my primary lens. 18-250 *of course* has more range, but it also isn't remotely close to the quality and speed of my 28-75."

Can you recommend two lens I can buy as you suggested for 28-75 f/2.8, and then one for you mid or long range? I saw the post on the Tamron, very nice indeed for the money.

thanks,
    BBR

Quote Originally Posted by BBRoberts
    Didn't say on Wiki, but it does shoot raw. There are a few for sale at Ebay. Seems pretty cool, but it only has 5x. Also I am assuming this camera doesn't have IS and improved AF features. It is older after all. For the time it was made, pretty nice!
    Well, it still has great noise performance, and its image quality is still unmatched. It even outdoes most DSLR's when theyre paired with cheaper lens. Dave Etchells of imaging resource compiled comparably performing DSLRs and found it would cost some 3 times the price in DSLR equipment to get the full performance value of the R1. The cutoff is 120mm, and thats the only real bummer. Heres a better and more in-depth review and examination of the R1 IR.

Yes the 28-75 f/2.8 is GREAT bang for buck. It competes with lens twice and thrice its price. I've even found it to outperform the Sigma equivalent at over twice the price. The only thing other lens have on it is a 4mm wide gain, as it compares mostly with 24-70 f/2.8's. If you want the best for longer range, you could look at the Sony 70-200 f/2.8 G, or even the old Minolta 70-200 f/2.8 APO's. If those are a bit pricey for you, Tamron has a 70-200 f/2.8 for a bit less, and still a great performing lens. Cheaper then that though - the beercan is the only thing I could recommend. Unfortunately aside from the can, Minolta/Sony mount is lacking on telephoto f/4 constants. Something I'm hoping may change soon, Canon's loaded with high quality f/4 constants.

IF however the speed of a lens isn't crucial for you (f/2.8-4), Sony has 2 great super telephoto zooms, the 70-300 G and 70-400 G. The latter of the two is the size of a school bus.

Thread Information