Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>

Sony Cyber Shot DSC-W30

hello guys, i have a "Sony Cyber Shot DSC-W30 " and i was wondering is their any software that enables me to use the cam through its usb port as an internet camera,meaning can i use to work as a web cam?

Re: Sony Cyber Shot DSC-W30

Any video software that can read a live anlog input (hardware required) would suffice, at that point bridging it through web channels in different software. The Sony came with an RCA cable for the video and audio, though only presenting a resolution of 480i (240). Through the USB port - it would need to be a function of the camera and the firmware in it, and depend on what protocols it used to connect through the computer wether its P2P, but DPOF and Mass Storage Device protocols wouldn't allow you this function. If you don't already have the hardware for the analog video input, it would be less costly to just get a cheap web cam... Based on what I read about the camera at imaging-resource I haven't found anything to suggest it is capable of this feature.

I have however heard of a "Canon Hack" program that allows you programmable control over some canon cameras firmware and programming language. With this you could essentially write drivers for the usb connection, perhaps a web cam program can be written, I dont know the limitations of the particular firmware hack. Is there a particular reason you wanted this function?

Re: Sony Cyber Shot DSC-W30

The Sony Cyber Shot DSC-W30's performance is generally very good, except for a limited burst mode that delivers only 3 full-resolution shots at 1.4fps; however, it can maintain that rate until you've filled the card with VGA-resolution pictures. We're impressed with the camera's shutter-lag time of 0.3 second under high-contrast illumination, but the delay balloons to a frustrating 1.7 seconds under low-contrast lighting with the red focus-assist lamp. Power-on to first shot takes 1.6 seconds; thereafter, the shot-to-shot time remains a speedy 1.3 seconds, slowing to 1.6 seconds if the flash needs to recharge.

Thread Information