Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>

Thread: Sony alpha A200

Hegz

Sony alpha A200

Hi, I was wondering if anybody has knowledge, advice, or any comments on a lens
    listed on ebay at the moment.... (It might be too late this time...)
    --Tamron-made Quantaray brand (a US market brand, design same as Tamron's own except the branding for marketing purpose) LDO 70-300mm f4-5.6 Tele-Macro Zoom Lens. Fits both film and digital Minolta & Sony SLR bodies.--
    I have a Alpha 200 with a kit 18 - 70mm ...Would this be a good low cost telephoto?
    It has only a day left till the end of auction (item# 200392214645)...
    Thanks in advance for any help.... denny
    Last edited by dhegdahl; 10-14-2009 at 06:28 AM.

Hegz

Re: Sony alpha A200

One more question ( I hope I'm not being a pain ) I also need to replace my compact flash card.... Would a Transcend Compact Flash CompactFlash CF 133X 4GB 45MB/S work?.
    I have a 1GB at the moment but was advised to replace it with a faster card .
    Thanks again...

Hardly a pain, knowledge is power. So, standby to be informed and ... powerful.

First, "Quantaray" is a pseudo name for ... SIGMA, not TAMRON. The 70-300mm f/4-5.6 has been plagued with focus gear failure on the SONY-mount. There are many complaints of this failure and it does not take long to show its ugly face and cause you needless trouble. Even if it were free, I would not recommend using it.

A better choice is to simply buy a TAMRON AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di LD MACRO (<- click here), online .. perhaps B&H Video and go with that. It tends to provide a reasonably good shot with minimal fuss. I have heard of no failures with this lens and have seen relatively excellent work with it, for that price.

The Transcend 4GB CF card should be fine.
    Don Schap
    If you can't afford the heavy-duty gear ... have no fear, they used to do this with a piece of charcoal and a dark tent
    There's no money in this ... it's just "love of the game."
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.

Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera, that gives you the most improvement in your photography. Refrain from "INTRO" lenses.
    My Gear List
    flickr®

I would not buy the Quantaray lens. I have one, it is ok, no problems. It came with a camera body I wanted and the price was right. I agree with Don, Tamron is a very good choice. If you want to try to save a little buying used, look for Minolta lenses. A used, very good condition lens can be bought for around $100 US.

Phil

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

.. and whatever you do do NOT buy that memory card off ebay. There are tons of fakes. Only buy from known reliable sources.

A couple of photos taken with a Minolta 100-300MM on Sony a200

07-05-2009 Texas City Dike  00004

07-05-2009 Texas City Dike  00045

Hegz

Hey, thanks for the heads up on the ... SIGMA, not TAMRON. The 70-300mm f/4-5.6 lens on ebay... I was really thinking of making a bid... I took Don Schap's advice and ordered a - TAMRON AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di LD MACRO - from b and h photo and can't wait to get my hands on it. I also ordered a Transcend Compact Flash CompactFlash 133X 4GB that was listed on ebay...( before I read Canuck935 warning ) ...from Cameta Camera and I hope I didn't make a mistake...
    Thanks for all the help and advice...
    Just for the record I have a old Minolta 35mm Srt 101 with a 58mm f1.4 lens that I bought new when I was in the Navy... a few years back... and I have had a few other 35mm types over the years... Even a Olympus f370 digital that I used till my wife took it over a week ago...when I got The Sony A200. This is my first Dslr so I'm going to try and get back into things...

'dhegdahl' - I would consider purchasing the a700 and hand the a200 to someone else ... a lot younger.

I have a sneaking suspicion you will appreciate the use of the a700 a whole lot more and for the most part, it offers the most "bang for the buck" of any SONY DSLR at this price point of $850 (B&H Video)

Consider it ... and enjoy.
    Don Schap
    If you can't afford the heavy-duty gear ... have no fear, they used to do this with a piece of charcoal and a dark tent
    There's no money in this ... it's just "love of the game."
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.

Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera, that gives you the most improvement in your photography. Refrain from "INTRO" lenses.
    My Gear List
    flickr®

I wouldn't be worried with Cameta.
    I bought the Sigma 500 EF Super flash from them, and I've been able to send it to Sigma to service it for free (to correct exposure when mounted on A100 hotshoe).

I hope you post some photos taken with your new lens, looking forward to seeing them.

Phil

Hegz

Thanks Phil,
    When/if I get some post-able photos I'll try my hand at uploading here... Should be fun and a good way to learn.

Hegz

Hi all ,
    I received the tamron 70-300 lens we were talking about... The weather here has been a bummer, but I did post a few macro photos shot with this lens.... and I'm pleased to be out and about again with my camera. Take a look and please comment as I can use all the help I can get.... I'll be back.(big grin)

Sounds like he already picked his camera.

Yes the A3xx does have smaller viewfinders, but its the price to pay to have the best live-view on the market.

Thread Information