Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>
    More eagerness than skills.. rzozaya1969's Avatar

Sony A100 first impressions and Q's...

I've just got a Sony Alpha 100 DSLR as a xmass present from myself

My previous cameras have been point and shoot cameras (Kodak something, Cannon A520, HP 925, Cannon SD700 IS), and there are huge difference in the 2 different types of cameras.

For one, the point and shoot are very automatic, simple, while the Alpha is very manual. I think that everything is different. On point and shoot you only have the built in lenses (although, teoretically, on some p&s cameras you could put another lens, but I've never seen them). The camera lenses go by 3x or something, while on the DSLR it's more by numbers, and lenses. Which is nicer. What I find is that the lenses that came with the camera (18-70) are pretty cool, I really don't understand how to judge a lens, but I think I have good options with the original.

On the P&S cameras, I got used in looking at the subject using the LCD display, while on the Alpha I have to use the viewfinder (not bad, just different, but I'm guetting used to it).

What I find that I don't have on the Alpha is the automatic panoramic options that the HP and Canon had. The function I'm refering is that you could take different pictures of a landscape and have a software stich them together. While I don't use that feature often, sometimes I do. Anyway, I think it's something possible to do it manualy using software, and since I have the Canon software installed (I still plan to use the SD700 often), I think I could use it with any pics, not only the ones taken with the Canon.

Other feature is the video option (Okay, sure, it doens't take video as nice as a camcorder, but it could work on some cases), but it's a camera, not a camcorder.

I love how fast the camera is. Since it is considerably larger than P&S cameras, and I don't have the smallest hands out there, it fits pretty nice on my hands and it's nice to take pics with it.

What I don't like is that the camera 'forgets' some settings you last set (ISO settings, WB, D-R and other features that you set with the left dial, so every time I turn off the camera I have to rememeber to set them again. What I liked about the HP camera is that it had a 'My Settings', which remembered whatever settings you wanted from the last time.

I have some questions, on the viewfinder there is a dial to adjust for dioptries or something like that, which I don't have a clue on what is that.

Re: Sony A100 first impressions and Q's...

Alpha 100 is a great Christmas gift. I hope you share your pictures with us. The alpha group on this site is growing.

I Can Help!

You've got a lot to learn. The good news is, you don't have to learn it all right away. You can put your camera on auto and it will operate almost the same as your point-and-shoots, only better!

Quote Originally Posted by rzozaya1969
    On the P&S cameras, I got used in looking at the subject using the LCD display, while on the Alpha I have to use the viewfinder (not bad, just different, but I'm guetting used to it).
    Using the viewfinder is better than using the LCD - especially for panning. I can't pan accurately with an LCD. But if you use the viewfinder you'll pan smoothly and accurately. ViewFinders should be checking and sharing photos - not shooting them. There are exceptions. But for the most part, the viewfinder is the best.

What I find that I don't have on the Alpha is the automatic panoramic options that the HP and Canon had. The function I'm refering is that you could take different pictures of a landscape and have a software stich them together. While I don't use that feature often, sometimes I do. Anyway, I think it's something possible to do it manualy using software, and since I have the Canon software installed (I still plan to use the SD700 often), I think I could use it with any pics, not only the ones taken with the Canon.
    Correct. Your A100 will have fewer automatic functions. It's a more high-end camera and the pure amateur stuff is left out. But you're right - you should be able to use the Canon panorama stitching software with your Sony photos, too. If not, there are lots of other panoramic stitching software options available. If you check the software reviews on this site you'll find there's a whole panoramic software review section.

Other feature is the video option (Okay, sure, it doens't take video as nice as a camcorder, but it could work on some cases), but it's a camera, not a camcorder.
    Video is another consumer feature. When you step up to better stuff it gets more specialized.

What I don't like is that the camera 'forgets' some settings you last set (ISO settings, WB, D-R and other features that you set with the left dial, so every time I turn off the camera I have to rememeber to set them again. What I liked about the HP camera is that it had a 'My Settings', which remembered whatever settings you wanted from the last time.
    I'm not sure about this. I am familiar with the "My Settings" feature on the HP and other compact digital cameras. But I don't recall losing settings with the Sony. I shoot mostly in full manual, though. Since it's a more sophisticated camera, catering to experienced photographers, I am pretty sure there must be a way to retain settings. If you're in the "green mode" (not sure if that's the right name with the Sony), it may choose all settings for you, all the time. Try the "P" mode. It's an auto mode that allows you to make some of your own decisions. This is really just a case of you needing to learn which A100 modes work best for you.

I have some questions, on the viewfinder there is a dial to adjust for dioptries or something like that, which I don't have a clue on what is that.
    The diopter is an adjustment to compensate for bad eyesite, if you don't use your glasses when you're taking pictures. You can adjust it to compensate for near or farsightedness.

I hope that answers some of your basic questions. I understand the steep learning curve when you get your first SLR. It's worth the effort to learn and we're here to help. Congratulations on the new camera!
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Re: I Can Help!

Thanks!

I tried with the P (Program) setting and it does keep the settings yeah!

Another question, what are the differences in quality in different lenses? It might be a dumb question, but I don't get it yet.

Another question, what are the differences in quality in different lenses? It might be a dumb question, but I don't get it yet.[/QUOTE]

Same question here, do you get clear images with the kit lens @ 17mm? Is there a big difference with the Vario Sonnar T DT 16-80mm?

Re: Sony A100 first impressions and Q's...

After using it to shoot xmass and new year's eve dinner, I've got a little more experience with the Alpha...

It's a great camera, and there's lot to learn.

I like that I can see how the baterry life is going (at least, there's 5 bars for that), and I've just consumed one of the bars and have taken lot's of pic (well, not hundreds, but some).

Playing with exposure compensation and night modes, I've been able to take good night indoors photos without flash. Some times I got very blurry images, but I think it was for long exposure times and bad pulse. I guess a tripod will help me on this.

I've only used jpeg picture format, probably going to try RAW files to see how they work, but I think that I won't use it too much.
    "I can't change the world, but I can change my world"

Another question, what are the differences in quality in different lenses? It might be a dumb question, but I don't get it yet.
    There are several differences in lenses. However, the kit lens for the Alpha is very decent. It really depends what kind of photos you plan to do. I do very little wide angle shots, so the kit lens is all I really need in that range. However, for low light, I also have a 50mm 1.7.

Some of the best glass out there for Sony/KM would be as follows:
    50 1.7
    70-210 4
    135 2.8
    sigma 105 macro

You can get all of those for under $1000 second hand. They all have excellent color, contrast, and sharpness. The two primes would be nice for low light. If you are interested in wildlife, the Sigma 400mm APO can be had for about $200 (used), it's also nice. Certainly there's better stuff out there, but these lenses are by far the most popular and affordable. Here's some examples...

Owl - Sig 400 APO
    Flowers - Sigma 105 macro
    Deer thing - 70-210 f/4
    portrait 50 f/1.7
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sony A100 first impressions and Q's...-pict4689.jpg   Sony A100 first impressions and Q's...-pict4742.jpg   Sony A100 first impressions and Q's...-pict2686.jpg   Sony A100 first impressions and Q's...-apict3922.jpg  

Thread Information